Final Jeopardy by Linda Fairstein

Final Jeopardy (1994)

by Linda Fairstein

Linda Fairstein mined her own experience as a top prosecutor in New York’s Sex Crimes Unit for this debut thriller, starring NYC prosecutor Alexandra Cooper. The book opens with Alex reading her own obituary – a case of mistaken identity when she loaned her vacation home to a Hollywood star.

This is definitely what I look for in this genre. It’s a fast-paced mystery with plenty of suspects, interesting plot twists, a likeable main character, and some complicated relationships. I was kept guessing right along with Alex and the detectives. In the meantime, I became invested in Alex’s personal life and public work. She’s a complex woman, and I like that she doesn’t wait around to be rescued but figures out a way out of her own dilemmas.

I definitely want to read more of this series. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 18, 2017 |
I first became acquainted with Alexandra Cooper in the book Entombed (book 7) and I found her to be an intriguing character and I loved the story of the book. So, naturally, did I want to get to know her from the start.

In Final Jeopardy is Alex mistaken for a murdered woman. But, the actual victim was Isabella Lascar, a Hollywood film star that was staying at Alex's place at Martha's Vineyard. The question is, was Isabella the target or was she just there at the wrong place and the wrong time and it was Alex that was the real target?

There are several things that appeal to me when it comes to this series, first I like that Alex is a sex crimes prosecutor. I'm so used to reading about cops that a series around a prosecutor is a welcome break. Second, the stories are interesting with fascinating tidbits about New York's history. Fairstein gives the reader the background story of Martha's Vineyard in this book and I love books that manage to add historical tidbits to the story.

The case was interesting, was Alex the real target and is she still in danger? Or was Isabella the killer's target from the beginning? Alex has to with some close police friends try to find pout the truth and I have to say that it was an interesting book to read and the revelation towards the end of the book was, well fascinating.

Final Jeopardy is a good solid book and a great start to the Alexandra Cooper series. I have read three books so far and I quite enjoy them and I'm looking forward to reading more. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
After seeing Linda Fairstein at a local author event, I decided that I really needed to read one of her mysteries. I began with the very first book, and I'll be reading more.

Fairstein describes Martha's Vineyard beautifully, and really gives readers a wonderful feel for the daily life of a high-powered assistant district attorney. She also does an excellent job of showing how laws governing sex crimes have changed over the years-- something she should be capable of since she was the head of the Manhattan Sex Crimes Unit for over two decades.

I really enjoyed the book. It's fast-paced, and the non-cooking Alex Cooper is a strong, fascinating character who has a strong circle of friends. However, Final Jeopardy does have a couple of first-timer hiccups. The dialogue is often a bit stiff and stilted, and when a bad guy is about to be exposed a few pages down the road, Fairstein shines a beacon on the clue she planted. But guess what? I don't care. Those things are easily fixed. The characters, story, and setting are first-rate. I'm looking forward to more Alex Cooper! ( )
  cathyskye | Nov 9, 2016 |
This woman railroaded The Central Park Five and she is just able to walk away and have a successful career as an author (I use that term loosely)? She also will delete anything you post on her FB page asking about her part in this outrageous miscarriage of justice. Reader beware. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Alex Cooper is a sex crimes prosecutor in New York. Her friend, Isabella lancaster, is killed at her home on Marhtha's Vineyard and Alex becomes involved in finding the murderer. A good start to this series. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
For Esther Newberg and Justin Feldman, Believers
I sat on my living room sofa at five o'clock in the morning with a copy of the mock-up of the day's New York Post in my hand, looking at my own obituary.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671010123, Mass Market Paperback)

This critically acclaimed, explosive thriller is a book only prosecutor Linda Fairstein could write. Patricia Cornwall knows the morgue; John Grisham knows the courtroom; but no one knows the inner workings of the D.A.'s office like Linda Fairstein, renowned for two decades as head of Manhattan Sex Crimes Unit. Now that world comes vividly to life in a brilliant debut novel of shocking realism, powerful insight, and searing suspense.

Alexandra Cooper, Manhattan's top sex crimes prosecutor, awakens one morning to shoking news: a tabloid headline announcing her own brutal murder. But the actual victim was Isabella Lascar, the Hollywood film star who sought refuge at Alex's Martha's Vineyard retreat. Was Isabella targeted by a stalker or -- mistaken for Alex -- was she in the wrong place at the wrong time? In an investigation that twists from the back alleys of lower Manhattan to the chic salons of the Upper East Side. Alex knows she'sin final jeopardy...and time is running out. She has to get into the killer's head before the killer gets to her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:01 -0400)

Alexandra Cooper, assistant district attorney in charge of Manhattan's sex crime prosecution, takes on the murder of movie star Isabella Lascar in Alexandra's summer home and someone from her high-profile past who may have intended to kill Alexandra.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,237,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible