Birds of a Feather

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (2)

Maisie Dobbs is back and this time she has been hired to find a wealthy grocery magnate's daughter who has fled from home. What seems a simple case at first becomes complicated when Maisie learns of the recent violent deaths of three of the heiress's old friends. Is there a connection between her mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would kill such charming young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers to all her questions lie in the unforgettable agony of The Great War.… (more)

A well thought-out mystery with interesting side stories. The characters are well developed and their storylines progress from book to book. It's worth continuing the series. ( )
  DidIReallyReadThat | Sep 9, 2021 |
I like Maisie’s use of gnostic ways to help solve her cases. Highly amusing ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
I continue to enjoy the unique detective style of Maisie Dobbs, the post WWI London setting and pleasing cast of characters. ( )
  Melorak | Jun 23, 2021 |
A fun quick read. (#43--a book by a female author)
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
It is now 1930, a year after Maisie begins her investigative business. She has moved to Fitzroy Square and hired an assistant, Billy Beale. She has also gained the respect of Detective Inspector Stratton of Scotland Yard’s Murder Squad, not bad for a girl who has moved from servant to scholar to investigator and psychologist. She is hired by Joseph Waite, a domineering father and employer, to find his adult wayward daughter, Charlotte, who just ran away. He is a self-made man who owns the string of Waite's International Stores. He is demanding, but also compassionate to people less fortunate as long as it is on his terms. Maisie finds a link between her case and Stratton's murder case in Coulsden as she tracks down Charlotte's friends. ( )
  baughga | Sep 14, 2020 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.

Winspear, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech
1919-2002

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.
"I think people are trying to forget the war, don't you, miss? I mean, who wants to be reminded? My cousin—not the one what died over there, but the one who came home wounded from Loos—he said that it was one thing to be remembered and quite another to be reminded every day. He didn't mind people remembering what he'd done, you know, over there. But he didn't want to be reminded of it. He said that it was hard because something happened to remind him every day."
Perhaps she was ready for change. Not outwardly, though she knew that exterior transformation was a signal of inner change, but in what she envisioned for her future.
As Maisie settled back into the pillows, she thought of the fine line between remembrance and reminder, and how a constant reminder could drive a person to the edge of sanity.
Maisie smiled, noting the change of address again, from "M'um" to "Miss." Maisie felt like a citizen of two countries, neither here nor there, but always somewhere in the middle.
If Lydia Fisher chose alcohol, and Billy narcotics to beat back the tide of daily reminder, then what did she do to dull the pain? And as she considered her question, the terrible thought came to her that perhaps she worked hard at her own isolation, along with the demands of her business.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,156,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible