Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (1985)

by Haruki Murakami

Series: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (complete)

8,618175694 (4.13)1 / 313
The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow.… (more)
Recently added byChimista, phomchick, MCBacon, loqiton, Seddoug, fluxus, joegjansen, Ivana12341234, private library, loqnki
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    The Castle by Franz Kafka (alzo)
    Haibane Renmei: The Complete Series by Tomokazu Tokoro (Jannes)
    Jannes: Different mediums, but there are several interesting connections between the two works. Most prominently the isolated, walled in town. Worth checking out one if you liked the other.
    Kangaroo Notebook by Kōbō Abe (moietmoi)
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (Rynooo)
    Mobius Dick by Andrew Crumey (alzo)
    The Affirmation by Christopher Priest (tetrachromat)
    Dogra Magra by Kyūsaku Yumeno (moietmoi)

English (157)  French (7)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (174)
The thing about reading novels in translation is that I am always left with the nagging sensation that I've missed the real story, and if only I could dedicate a few years to gaining fluency my opinion would change. As I'm unmotivated to put in that work, however, I can only respond to the novel I've read, imperfect as it may be.

So this was my first encounter with Murakami's fiction, and for some reason it failed to really grab my attention. It was clever, certainly, with the interwoven narrative and the density of cultural/literary references... however I think there was something to the pacing that left me uninterested.

There wasn't much I can particularly point to as things I disliked, although hearing the narrator wax eloquent about the joys and failings of his genitalia was something of a low point.

I think I just don't have strong opinions on this story. Yeah, it's trying to allude to some interesting questions regarding identity/mind/unconscious self, but it never did more than sketch outlines. There is one moment that sticks, however-- when the narrator asks the Colonel, who is without "mind", why then he has been kind to him, the Colonel responds thus:

"Kindness and a caring mind are two separate qualities. Kindness is manners. It is superficial custom, and acquired practice. Not so the mind. The mind is deeper, stronger, and, I believe, it is far more inconstant."

Regardless of the slow pace, the struggle to find enjoyment, I suppose that moment makes up for the price of admission. ( )
  MCBacon | Aug 2, 2021 |
I have really enjoyed the Murakami books I have read so far and it felt like the right time to delve into another one. I've had this on my TBR for a few years now and I'm still a little intimidated by the length of IQ84. At about 400 pages I felt that this would be the ideal mixture in terms of length and content.

As I tend to avoid reviews prior to reading a book I was surprised that the chapters alternate between two different stories. At first I found this quite disconcerting and I kept putting it down for a few days at a time. After a while though, I settled into this rhythm and as the book went on I felt like it really worked.

Another thing that stood out was the lack of names for the characters. Everyone is known as 'The Gatekeeper', 'The Librarian' etc and we never find out the name of the main protagonist. I have come across this in the past with other books and it does leave a little distance between me and the characters. In some cases this would be a problem but I always really like the underlying sense of despair in Murakami's work and I feel that these things work well together.

The actual stories are well told and I really enjoyed both of them. Once I got into the book I kept having to pick the book up and see what was going to happen next. I also really liked the ending, I was concerned the book would go one way and it didn't, I'll leave it there so I don't spoil anything.

This would be a 5 if it wasn't for the fact that it took me a while to get into. ( )
  Brian. | Jul 24, 2021 |
Hoo boy. I haven’t read Murakami since college like 10 yrs ago. Was he always this bad at writing women? The first 25% of this book is the protagonist wondering whether he should bang a chubby 17 yo clad in all pink (who is mute to start!!!!), while any other woman is a fantasy sex object. The sci-fi concepts here could’ve been good but were cheapened by the technobabble trap of needing to over explain and an unrewarding resolution to the central mystery. I did enjoy the elements of horror, however. ( )
  jiyoungh | May 3, 2021 |
Murakami Chronicles 03: HARDBOILED WONDERLAND AND THE END OF THE WORLD
http://youtu.be/E4oiFOzgZlM ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 30, 2021 |
Nice parallel storytelling but the novel is a bit too backlogged with worldbuilding and a plot that wears a bit. I think I liked the EOW line more than the Hard Boiled storyline. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Apr 6, 2021 |
He has become the foremost representatives of a new style of Japanese writing: hip, cynical and highly stylized, set at the juncture of cyberpunk, postmodernism, and hard-boiled detective fiction.... Murakami [is] adept at deadpan wit, outrageous style.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Times Magazine

Murakami's bold willingness to go straight over the top [is] a signal indication of his genius... a world-class writer who has both eyes open and takes big risks.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post Book World

Ortmanns, AnnelieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, LourdesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stalph, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, Maxim deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why does the sun go on shining?
Why do the birds go on singing?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?

The End of the World (Sylvia Dee/Arthur Kent)
The elevator continued its impossibly slow ascent.
Elevatoren var på vej op i ekstremt langosmt tempo. Eller det forestillede jeg mig i det mindste. Jeg var ikke sikker. Det gik så langsomt, at jeg havde mistet orienteringen. Det kunne lige så godt være, at den var på vej ned, eller at den slet ikke bevægede sig.
But on the phenomenological level, this world is only one out of countless possibillities. As you create memories, you're creatin' a parallel world
...I walked right into her backside. It was wonderfully cushioning, like a firm rain cloud.

From Library Journal
The last surviving victim of an experiment that implanted the subjects' heads with electrodes that decipher coded messages is the unnamed narrator of this excellent book by Murakami, one of Japan's best-selling novelists and winner of the prestigious Tanizaki prize. Half the chapters are set in Tokyo, where the narrator negotiates underground worlds populated by INKlings, dodges opponents of both sides of a raging high-tech infowar, and engages in an affair with a beautiful librarian with a gargantuan appetite. In alternating chapters he tries to reunite with his mind and his shadow, from which he has been severed by the grim, dark "replacement" consciousness implanted in him by a dotty neurophysiologist. Both worlds share the unearthly theme of unicorn skulls that moan and glow. Murakami's fast-paced style, full of hip internationalism, slangy allegory, and intrigue, has been adroitly translated. Murakami is also author of A Wild Sheep Chase ( LJ 10/15/89); his new work is recommended for academic libraries and public libraries emphasizing serious contemporary fiction.
- D.E. Perushek, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville
Birds fly overhead
Golden beasts graze in the town
INKlings worship... fish?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,630,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible