Page by Tamora Pierce
Keladry of Mindelan continues her training to become a squire with the aid of a new maid, the support of her friends, interference from some other pages, and some serious, even dangerous opposition.

3.75 stars

This is the 2nd book in the series. Kel has completed her first year to learn to become a knight. She is the only girl, and was bullied and picked on in her first year. Now in her second year, she hires a shy, scared girl (by request of the girl’s uncle) to be a servant to her while she continues to train, along with her friends, and some of her tormentors are still around.

I really enjoyed this. I liked Kel and I liked her friends. I also liked her new servant Lalasa. This one went pretty fast, as it sped through all the remaining years of Kel’s training, so it might have been nice to get more detail as we went along, but I guess being a YA book, it was sped up a bit. It’s certainly a great series for young girls, with Kel being such a strong role model, herself. But, of course, I’m enjoying it, too! ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 17, 2019 |
#1: First Test ★★★★
#2: Page ★★★★
#3: Squire ★★★★★

This review can also be found on my blog.

cw: past abuse, attempted assault

For the first time she could understand how someone in a rage might do murder. “How dare you touch an unwilling woman?” she asked.

This book follows Kel through her second, third, and fourth years as a page. I was surprised that this was all to be packed into one book, but it made sense that there was only so much to be covered once the probationary period was out of the way. We get to see the return of all Kel’s friends along with meeting some new ones, including her new maid Lalasa.

Lalasa is a great character in her own right, a young woman who has suffered from great abuse at the hands of men. She is timid when she first enrolls in Kel’s service, but quickly comes into her own with the page’s encouragement. We get to see Lalasa develop alongside Kel in a mirror image of sorts. It’s really nice to see this friendship between women blossom in such a male-centric environment.

Kel also has to deal with the beginnings of puberty while undergoing her trials as a page. One thing I love about Tamora Pierce is that she’s not afraid to write the real stuff. She’s blunt and honest without being crude. Kel begins to grow breasts, experiences several jumps in height, and gets her first period. If only we also lived in a world where a magical talisman was the solution, but I guess we have birth control!

It’s also really great to see Kel further dealing with her phobia. As revealed in the first book, her terror of heights came out of previous emotional abuse she experienced from her brother. While resistant at first she knows that overcoming, or at least confronting, these fears are key to her becoming a knight. As someone who has dealt with severe anxiety, I think it’s really important to see strong characters who struggle with it as well.

Overall, I continue to adore Kel as a character and find her story fun to follow. I usually don’t tend to like lawful good characters as I find them a bit boring, but Tammy is a master of developing people you love to read about. I mean, how can you not love a girl knight-to-be taking down abusers? I’d definitely recommend this book, and the series, to any lovers of Tamora Pierce as well as readers of YA fantasy. ( )
  samesfoley | Feb 12, 2019 |
Plot: 4/5
I do love Tamora Pierce, don’t get me wrong. And I did love the plot of this one, as always, I just wish that we had gone into more detail of things AS THEY WERE HAPPENING. I feel like we got a lot of information after the fact. Like, her midwinter as a second year page, we found out that Alanna sent her, like, saddlebags or something along those lines and then it’s like, “Oh, I forgot to tell you but I got Riding Gloves from her in the summer and Gauntlets in the fall”. Also, for that same midwinter, we KNOW that KEl received presents from people other than Alanna, but we were never told who or what. In the first book, there was this little detail, Roald sent her a glass-blown horse that looked like Peachblossom for Midwinter, I really appreciated that detail, and I feel like we don’t get any similar details in this book, and that makes me sad. 

Characters: 5/5
Kel: has less of that Yamani thing that disturbed me in the first book. I feel like it fades the longer she’s away from the Yamanis.

Neal: is still fun and sarcastic

Owen: We meet this kind of chubby little page who overuses the word ‘jolly’ especially in reference to fights. He’s so cute.

Joren: ERG! How could, you, Kel, NOT realize that no matter what he says, he still, and always will be, a jerkface!

Romance Factor: 5/5
There was not an actual ROMANCE in this book. There was a ROMANCE FACTOR.
So, the romance factor here was really cute.
Definition of a Love Triangle: When one girl cannot choose between two boys. Or one boy cannot choose between girls. Or one person who is bisexual cannot choose between two memebers of the same species that person consider attractive. Or… you know what I mean.
THIS WAS NOT A LOVE TRIANLE.
So, Cleon came back for one Midwinter and it was OBVIOUS he had a crush on Kel. But Kel had been crushing on Neal for quite some time. There was one really cute scene where Neal had his arm around her shoulders and Cleon told him to stop manhandling and then Cleon put his arm around his shoulders. It was a really cute and awesome interaction between the three of them.

Overall grade: 14/15. That’s a really high A.
I LOVE TAMORA PIERCE!!! ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Kel continues training to be a knight. She faces sexism from her fellow nobles and danger from the kingdom's enemies.

Kel goes through puberty (at 12, which seems early for her time period) and immediately starts being interesting to boys--and gets interested right back. I wish we'd gotten more of her training, which is the most interesting part of these books to me. I also wish Kel was a little less perfect. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
4.5 stars.
  ElizabethJoseph | Feb 10, 2016 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti,JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Julia Niederhut Muche for memory's sake.
To Julia Niederhut Muche (Random House paperback edition, 2001)
Autumn that year was warm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,787,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible