dismiss

The Illuminatus! Trilogy (1975)

by Robert Shea, Robert Anton Wilson

Series: The Illuminatus! Trilogy (Omnibus 1-3)

Filled with sex and violence--in and out of time and space--the three books of The Illuminatus are only partly works of the imagination. They tackle all the coverups of our time--from who really shot the Kennedys to why there's a pyramid on a one-dollar bill.
    Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter (princemuchao)
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (craigim, ateolf)
    Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon (Bigrider7)
    Bigrider7: A pair of whimsical books where reality is never quite what it appears, and is much more indiscrete and lacking in continuity than many of us can handle. Secrets about how life operates lurking just beyond the views of perceptions
    Principia Discordia by Malaclypse the Younger (princemuchao, sbuehrle)
    Minor Episodes / Major Ruckus (The Chaos! Quincunx) by Garry Thomas Morse (ringreader)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (5hrdrive)
    The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (PghDragonMan)

This book is an excellent insight into the complete insanity of the lsd hippie counter culture area. I dont care what others may say! RAW( Robert Anton Wilson) is a complete genius, albeit misunderstood and misquoted , quite often. And ignored by academia because of "CIA on campus" aka #cointelpro #oppaperclip #patriotact). -ljh aka Tlacaelel X. ( )
  Zenscholar707 | May 5, 2020 |
Not sure why I bothered reading to the end. It was sort of fun. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
Amazing up to a point. I found Leviathan exhausting and tedious. It was like running a marathon and finding a steep hill at the end. I shaved off a star but my own inadequacies as a reader probably led to my final disappointment. May read it again in a few years to see if I change my opinion. Glad it's finally under the old belt though... ( )
  Hank_Kirton | Apr 25, 2019 |
Reading this with Trump in office... I guess it just reminds me that things were really nuts back when Nixon was in office, too! Scott Adams, the cartoonist for Dilbert, pointed out that Trump, well, I don't remember the words, but Trump is like a sorcerer. And then this nutcase shoots up Las Vegas. We're really living in a kind of nightmare. And that's what this book points out.

At the metaphysical level, I would say this book is rather nihilistic. I recently watched a video where Camille Paglia rants against Derrida & co. for being careerists yeah but also nihilists. She points out that the authentic heritage of the 1960s involves reconnecting with the body. Yeah it is interesting, the various strands of the 1960s and how they veer off target one way or the other. A background thread in this book advocates interplanetary colonization. Definitely one strand of the 1960s, like say Stewart Brand, goes off into techno-utopian fantasy land. Except to a large degree that's the nightmare we're living. Steve Jobs, for example.

Yeah postmodernism has a kind of veneer of the left but actually it is very reactionary. Thich Nhat Hanh vs Julius Evola. Worth careful study and analysis! ( )
1 vote kukulaj | Oct 9, 2017 |
Imagine if conspiracy theories were true. Not just some - all of them. This wonderfully insane book peels back the layers of conspiracy theories like the layers of an onion - and they just get stranger. A brain-expanding, head-spinning, stomach-churning adventure story. ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |

Shea, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, Robert Antonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ochagavia, CarlosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Eye in the Pyramid
The history of the world is the history of the warfare between secret societies.
--Ishmael Reed, Mumbo-Jumbo
The Golden Apple
There is no god but man.

Man has the right to live by his own law -- to live in the way that he wills to do: to work as he will: to play as he will: to rest as he will: to die when and how he will.

Man has the right to eat what he will: to drink what he will: to dwell where he will: to move as he will on the face of the earth.

Man has the right to think what he will: to speak what he will: to write what he will: to draw, paint, carve, etch, mold, build as he will: to dress as he will.

Man has the right to love as he will.

Man has the right to kill those who thwart these rights.
--The Equinox: A Journal of Scientific Illuminism, 1922 (edited by Aleister Crowley)
Leviathan
The mutation from terrestrial to interstellar life must be made, because the womb planet itself is going to blow up within a few billion years ... Planet Earth is a stepping stone on our time-trip through the galaxy. Life has to get its seed-self off the planet to survive ...
There are also some among us who are bored with the amniotic level of mentation on this planet and look up in hopes of finding someone interesting to talk to.
--Timothy Leary, Ph.D., and L. Wayne Brenner, Terra II
To Gregory Hill and Kerry Thornley
To Arlen and Yvonne
The Eye in the Pyramid
It was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton.
The Golden Apple
April 25 began, for John Dillinger, with a quick skimming of the New York Times; he noticed more fnords than usual.
Leviathan
For over a week the musicians had been boarding planes and heading for Ingolstadt.
Wise men have regarded the earth as a tragedy, a farce, even an illusionist's trick; but all, if they are truly wise and not merely intellectual rapists, recognize that it is certainly some kind of stage in which we all play roles, most of us being very poorly coached and totally unrehearsed before the curtain rises. Is it too much if I ask, tentatively, that we agree to look upon it as a circus, a touring carnival wandering about the sun for a record season of four billion years and producing new monsters and miracles, hoaxes and bloody mishaps, wonders and blunders, but never quite entertaining the customers well enough to prevent them from leaving, one by one, and returning to their homes for a long and bored winter's sleep under the dust?
The belief in coincidence is the prevalent superstition of the Age of Science.

Tons of drugs and sex.
Conspiracies up the ass.
An epic mind-fuck.
(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,984,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible