The Tao of Pooh (1982)

by Benjamin Hoff

Series: Wisdom of Pooh (1)

Winnie-the-Pooh has a certain Way about him, a way of doing things that has made him the world's most beloved bear. InThe Tao of Pooh, Benjamin Hoff shows that Pooh's Way is amazingly consistent with the principles of living envisioned by the Chinese founders of Taoism. The author's explanation of Taoism through Pooh, and Pooh through Taoism, shows that this is not simply an ancient and remote philosophy but something you can use, here and now. And what is Taoism? It's really very simple. It calls for living without preconceived ideas about how life should be lived--but it's not a preconception of how life--it's.... Well, you'd do better to listen to this book, and listen to Pooh, if you really want to find out.… (more)
    The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff (Marewinds)
    Marewinds: Companion volume to the Tao of Pooh, and slightly more in-depth, for the next steps in your journey down the path of the Tao.
    Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (Othemts)
    Othemts: Books that help Westerners understand Taoist beliefs.
    Finding the Way: A Novel of Lao Tzu by Wayne Ng (Cecrow)

English (124)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (129)
I picked this up after an Audible sale. This is often referred to as the best primer for Taoism. I’ll admit, I’m not much of a philosopher so this was harder to get into than I thought. As an audiobook, I also had a hard time differentiating between the narrator’s version of Eeyore vs. Pooh or other similar characters like Piglet and Rabbit. And, it’s hard for me to really buy into this philosophy at all – that things are as they’re meant to be, in their natural state. If that’s the case, my natural state is spiteful cynicism.

MC_Rolon | Jun 15, 2022 |
Lovely to revisit this little text that I first read nearly twenty years ago. Its simple, humorous illustrations make me want (again) to get more in touch with my simpler, less action-oriented self. ( )
  jscape2000 | May 2, 2022 |
This was very Pooh-like and I really enjoyed it, but I can't say I'm really into Tao. There were some interesting and useful things, though. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
The Tao of Pooh is a book which has given me a much better understanding of Taoism. Pooh is a well-chosen example of a Taoist, and through citing the Pooh stories, Hoff knows how to get the essence of Taoism across.

However, the book also has a strong moral judgement. Is judging and whining about our Western lifestyle a Taoist thing to do? I doubt it. I don't hear Pooh bear b*tching about managers, people who try to think things through, etc..

This brings me to the second point of criticism I have, and this applies to Taoism in general. Can one choose to be Taoist? And how? Since Taoism is an anti-intellectual movement, it has no clear guidelines of concepts. It is all very vague. I recognize myself in Rabbit, a thinker who tries to control every aspect of his life. I also recognize how faulty of an approach this often is. But how can one change?

How can one become a Pooh bear? ( )
1 vote Boreque | Feb 7, 2022 |
Great concept and good execution, but generally just entertaining. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |

Benjamin Hoffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shepard, EarnestIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie."
For Han Hsiang-tse
"What's this you're writing?" asked Pooh, climbing onto the writing table.
"You see, Pooh," I said, "a lot of people don't seem to know what Taoism is . . ."

Haiku about bear
with very simple nature
is quite redundant. (Hephaestus63)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,782,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible