The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

The Tao of Pooh (1982)

by Benjamin Hoff

Recently added byprivate library, Alicia_Olson, Omdetdar, KatherineARose, jackdecrow, Tonyett, paultic
Legacy LibrariesEdward St. John Gorey
    The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff (Marewinds)
    Marewinds: Companion volume to the Tao of Pooh, and slightly more in-depth, for the next steps in your journey down the path of the Tao.
    Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (Othemts)
    Othemts: Books that help Westerners understand Taoist beliefs.
    Finding the Way: A Novel of Lao Tzu by Wayne Ng (Cecrow)

English (96)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (99)
10 copies
  LAPP | Oct 2, 2018 |
A wonderful introduction to Taoism using the stories of Winnie the Pooh to introduce the basic tenets of Taoist philosophy. It is well written and very readable and offers an understandable commentary on Taoism mixed with delightful excerpts from the Pooh books so that even if you aren't heavily into religious philosophy or Taoism the book is still both entertaining and educational. ( )
  Al-G | Sep 25, 2018 |
Benjamin Hoff uses Winnie the Pooh and his friends to explain the principles of the Tao.

There really is a fair bit of gentle wisdom to be extracted from the stories of Winnie, Eeyore, and the others, and Hoff does a decent job of it. Sadly, it's no more than decent. There's an insistent, one-note, "if you don't agree then clearly you just don't understand, and are wrong" tone that rears its head repeatedly. It does grate on me from time to time.

Yet at the same time, he also does, often, throughout this short book, quite nicely and charmingly capture the ways in which simple, uncomplicated Pooh can find the right answer while his "smarter" friends are getting lost in complications of their own making.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but perhaps just reading or listening to Milne's own stories might be even more rewarding.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
[book: The Tao of Pooh] is a truly magical book. I waxed poetic about my love of [book: Winnie The Pooh] and [book: The House at Pooh Corner] yesterday, and just how succinctly it captures a certain moral and innocent leaning. There is so much that is there and sorely needed, to the point that no matter what age you are you will be fond of Pooh and find something new between its covers. [author: Benjamin Hoff] found precisely what that magic of Pooh is, and with great humor and affection spells it out for the reader in this book.

[author: Benjamin Hoff] considers Pooh to be one of the great Zen Masters, and I have to agree with him. He describes Pooh's innocent way of looking at the world, and through it, teaches the reader a great deal about Taoism and what the Taoist Way to happiness is. In short, it's accepting your limitations and working within them, and finding happiness in the way things are. Worrying? It gets you nowhere when you can't change a thing. Furthermore, you get whatever it is you produce to the world. If you spend your time being respectful of others, you will generate respect, etc. It's no wonder Eeyore so commonly suffers...

This book is wonderful, the true essence of wholesomeness. Its lessons are timeless, and its contents so easy to read and digest that they can't help but bring a smile to your face. You're never too old for Pooh, and you're never in too deep a rut to read and appreciate what [author: Benjamin Hoff] and Pooh have to offer. So, try opening this book up now and then; I bet you you'll smile. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Sort of a fun read, but afterwords I cannot recall much of it, only that it was cleverly done but did not tell me much about Tao. ( )
  mykl-s | May 21, 2018 |

Benjamin Hoffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie."
For Han Hsiang-tse
"What's this you're writing?" asked Pooh, climbing onto the writing table.
"You see, Pooh," I said, "a lot of people don't seem to know what Taoism is . . ."

Haiku about bear
with very simple nature
is quite redundant. (Hephaestus63)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140067477, Paperback)

Is there such thing as a Western Taoist? Benjamin Hoff says there is, and this Taoist's favorite food is honey. Through brilliant and witty dialogue with the beloved Pooh-bear and his companions, the author of this smash bestseller explains with ease and aplomb that rather than being a distant and mysterious concept, Taoism is as near and practical to us as our morning breakfast bowl. Romp through the enchanting world of Winnie-the-Pooh while soaking up invaluable lessons on simplicity and natural living.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:14 -0400)

Author/narrator Hoff calls Winnie the Pooh a "Western Taoist'' and uses the unassuming bear to introduce Eastern philosophical principles. Pooh epitomizes the "uncarved block,'' as he is well in tune with his natural inner self.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,654,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible