The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

The Tao of Pooh (1982)

by Benjamin Hoff

The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff (Marewinds)
    Marewinds: Companion volume to the Tao of Pooh, and slightly more in-depth, for the next steps in your journey down the path of the Tao.
    Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (Othemts)
    Othemts: Books that help Westerners understand Taoist beliefs.
    Finding the Way: A Novel of Lao Tzu by Wayne Ng (Cecrow)

English (102)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (105)
I’ve been a Pooh fan since childhood and have recently decided to read all of the original works, etc. I have never read this book, and never studied Taoism, so I thought it would be an interesting place to start. At my job we are focusing on mindfulness and growth mindset and this book went nicely with that, with a bit of humor added in also. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jun 4, 2019 |
This book offers a good summary of The Dao (The Way) through the actions and mind of Winnie The Pooh.

The book is actually not an easy read and it is a tertiary level text because you probably should have read the Dao De Jing plus some Philosophy books before reading this. You also must know more about The Pooh and his friends before reading some chapters. It is hilarious at times.

However, I think if Everyone lives like The Pooh, then the world will be a simpler place but it will also be pretty backward. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | May 2, 2019 |

PSZC | Apr 17, 2019 |
This is a brilliant way to describe Taoism: through charming animal characters who tell riddles and poems. I was going to read the book but decided to take a long walk and listen to the audiobook instead (it's short). That was a good choice. The narration by Simon Vance is spot on and really brings it to life. ( )
  jasoncomely | Feb 8, 2019 |
Very short and fun! A good thing to read/listen to when you're feeling stressed for no reason. The audio version was particularly enjoyable. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |

Benjamin Hoffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie."
For Han Hsiang-tse
"What's this you're writing?" asked Pooh, climbing onto the writing table.
"You see, Pooh," I said, "a lot of people don't seem to know what Taoism is . . ."

Haiku about bear
with very simple nature
is quite redundant. (Hephaestus63)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140067477, Paperback)

Is there such thing as a Western Taoist? Benjamin Hoff says there is, and this Taoist's favorite food is honey. Through brilliant and witty dialogue with the beloved Pooh-bear and his companions, the author of this smash bestseller explains with ease and aplomb that rather than being a distant and mysterious concept, Taoism is as near and practical to us as our morning breakfast bowl. Romp through the enchanting world of Winnie-the-Pooh while soaking up invaluable lessons on simplicity and natural living.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:14 -0400)

Author/narrator Hoff calls Winnie the Pooh a "Western Taoist'' and uses the unassuming bear to introduce Eastern philosophical principles. Pooh epitomizes the "uncarved block,'' as he is well in tune with his natural inner self.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,617,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible