Invisible Monsters (1999)

by Chuck Palahniuk

The career of a model ends when she is disfigured in an accident. Suspecting the accident was the work of her ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend, she takes revenge by slipping him a drug to grow breasts.
    The Blondes: A Novel by Emily Schultz (ShelfMonkey)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Leigh22)
    Leigh22: Style of writing is completely different, but they both have a similar theme. Just wanting to drop everything and run away

This story is narrated by Shannon McFarland, the not-so-mute monster with half-a-face protagonist. She has everything: a great modeling carreer, a fiance, and a loyal best friend. But an "accident" changes everything. Until she met Princess Brandy Alexander, who teaches her to make a new story. This book is about hatred, finding revenge, and the protagonist's desperate ways of finding love.

This is the first Chuck Palahniuk-book I've read. And I love it, I think I'll be reding more of his works.--I just read this because of Panic at the the Disco's song, Time to Dance, which I'm super addicted to.-- I find this book so refreshing, after reading books with monsters, vampires, fairies, etc. well, this is such a new monster read *LOL*. All in all, this is the most insane novel I've ever read. And the characters prove that much. ( )
  blithelii_ | May 29, 2021 |
This is by far the best Palahnuik has done. The criticism of Chuck, and I think its pretty valid, the first book you read by him becomes your favorite. Its timely. It seems original. Unfortunately, you grow. Chuck doesn't seem to. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
I've never read anything like it! How many times have been reading a thriller and you wished you couldn't see how many pages are left? This is that. It's a choose-your-own-adventure book, but without the choice. There are two or three other plot lines (aside from the main story) that loop back around, so if you take a wrong turn you'll figure it out. This is definitely a rocket ride. The characters have some pretty deep mental issues that keep the plot moving in crazy, shocking directions. ( )
  064 | Mar 4, 2021 |
Invisible Monsters follows the story of a glamorious fashion model who gets into an accident that leaves her horribly disfigured afterwards.

The greatest thing this story has going for it is Palahniuk's terrific ability to make a story simultaneously horrifying and yet also gleafully entertaining. Invisible Monsters doesn't glumly dwell in the vileness, instead it relishes it, mocking our shallowness and stupidity, and it's Palahnuik's ability to do this that maked this novel a worthwhile read.

Unfortunately though, there were other stylistic choices that didn't work so well for me. Palahniuk has always liked to go into surreal and painstaking detail for each of his scenes, as does he love to hop around chronologically, but here it proves more of an annoyance rather than an asset, killing the story's momentum and making it increasing hard to follow.

In short, Invisible Monsters is signature Palahniuk, and for those of you already on his wavelength, this is a must read. If you're new to him however, this may not be the best place to start ( )
  danny.robledo | Jun 8, 2020 |

blithelii | Apr 14, 2020 |

Palahniuk, Chuckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosini, ManuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Geoff, who said, "This is how to steal drugs." And Ina, who said, "This is lip liner." And Janet, who said, "This is silk georgette." And my editor, Patricia, who kept saying, "This is not good enough."
Where you're supposed to be is some big West Hills wedding reception in a big manor house with flower arrangements and stuffed mushrooms all over the house.
No matter how much you think you love somebody, you'll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.
The murderer, the victim, the witness, each of us thinks our role is the lead.
When did the future switch from being a promise to being a threat?
The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.
You can only hold a smile for so long, after that it's just teeth.
Please distinguish between Invisible Monsters (1999) and Invisible Monsters Remix (2012).

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,876,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible