Star Trek Memories (1993)

by William Shatner, Chris Kreski

A living pop culture legend and one of American film and television's most enduring stars, William Shatner will forever be associated with the role of James T. Kirk, captain of the starship Enterprise. Star Trek Memories is Shatner's classic behind-the-scenes look at the legendary series that continues to put forth movies, books, and series spin-offs decades after the last episode aired. A television phenomenon that suffered from shaky ratings from its first broadcast in 1966 through its entire run, Star Trek nevertheless exploded into a worldwide, billion-dollar industry. Avid Trekkers who were onboard at the launch, as well as fans of the later Trek incarnations, will be delighted with this eye-opening, eminently fascinating "captain's log" from James Kirk himself.… (more)
    Up Till Now by William Shatner (Scotland)
    To the Stars: The Autobiography of George Takei, Star Trek's Mr. Sulu by George Takei (jlynno84)
    jlynno84: Its very interesting to see both sides of the relationship between George Takei and William Shatner.

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
A behind-the-scenes look at one of the most enduring science fiction television shows of all time. Here are the personal recollections, stories of practical jokes, and backstage drama that surrounded the show’s three short prime-time years. What made a shaky science fiction drama so unique that it became a multi-billion worldwide industry spawning half-a dozen spin-off series and more than a dozen big screen films?

Many of the illustrations and photographs included will be new to STAR TREK fans who are sure to find much to appreciate in the reminiscences of the original crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The plot summaries of all seventy-nine episodes and of six big-screen films will be an added bonus for fans of the original series.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Mar 26, 2020 |
I began this book with serious misgivings because he started making snarky remarks about his fellow cast members on about the fifth page. But, that did not persist throughout the book, mainly jokes about Leonard Nimoy, which I assume were approved because Mr. Nimoy contributed several passages of his show memories – the most memorable was his tale of how “mean” Shatner was for perpetrating a series of bicycle thefts.

The majority of the book details all the behind-the-scenes wrangling to get the television show on the air – and how the stress, sleep deprivation, and penny-pinching network interference drove more than one person over the edge. Seasons 2 and 3 are given very little attention, then the tone *completely* changes in Shatner’s epilogue where he admits that he never really got to know his fellow cast members and is a bit baffled by why they do not like him (Psst… go back and read your snarky introduction).

A great read for die-hard fans of the original series, names specific episodes and crew members and gives details that the casual reader will probably find tedious
2 vote memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Interesting Star Trek memoir from a guy who was in on the, uh, ground floor. He kind of cleverly gets around the fact that his costars all seem to hate him. And frankly, based on what's come out over the years, I'm highly skeptical of any "official" account of this television show, Just ask Harlan Ellison. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 25, 2015 |
A living pop culture legend and one of American film and television's most enduring stars, William Shatner will forever be associated with the role of James T. Kirk, captain of the starship Enterprise. Star Trek Memories is Shatner's classic behind-the-scenes look at the legendary series that continues to put forth movies, books, and series spin-offs decades after the last episode aired. A television phenomenon that suffered from shaky ratings from its first broadcast in 1966 through its entire run, Star Trek nevertheless exploded into a worldwide, billion-dollar industry. Avid Trekkers who were onboard at the launch, as well as fans of the later Trek incarnations, will be delighted with this eye-opening, eminently fascinating "captain's log" from James Kirk himself. ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
I bought this because it was on sale quite cheap in BN's "bargain bin," and because I am an avid TOS fan. I was a little bit worried that this was going to be very focused on Shatner, who, coincidentally, I am *not* a big fan of. But he surprised me with a very enjoyable read.

Shatner (who confusingly is known as "Bill" to all of Hollywood but "William" to us outsiders, and therefore consistently referred to as "Bill" by everyone in the book. It's hard to keep straight that when they say "Bill" they are referring to Shatner, whom the average person has never heard referred to by that name!) has interviewed many of his former co-stars and behind-the-scenes folks involved with the series, and provides a fun, amusing, and sometimes sad overlook of one of the most epic sci-fi series to ever grace the small screen. He didn't focus on himself (much), but on the series, how it came about, all of Roddenberry's hard work and dedication, the insight into how the characters were formed and how the cast & crew functioned. It really was a lovely insight into areas of the show that we viewers never got to see, and I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the series/genre. ( )
2 vote .Monkey. | May 1, 2013 |

Shatner, WilliamAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kreski, Chrismain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This book is dedicated to all the people who worked on Star Trek. They are the phenomena who made the phenomenon. —W.S.

For Philip Oliveri...my teacher, my pal, my poker partner, my grandfather. He's the man I want to be when I grow up. —C.K.
Snoring, smiling broadly, I am secure in the warmth and comfort of a carefree, dreamless sleep, and then it hits.

LIFE ON THE SET OF A TELEVISION SHOW LIGHT-YEARS AHEAD OF ITS TIME

Starring in the seventy-nine episodes and six feature films as Captain James T. Kirk, William Shatner is the leading man in the global cultural phenomenon known as Star Trek. In this in-depth insiders expose, he reveals the backstage anecodets, personal rivalries, and network politics that were carefully hidden behind the camera.
journey to the very beginning of the series, as the genius of Gene Roddenberry creats the first outlines of a science fiction show unlike anything produced before. Tour the set, where outrageous practical jokes bring much-needed breaks form an impossible shooting schedule. and hear members of the cast - Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, George Takei, Walter Konig, Nichelle Nichols, and Majel Barret-Rodddenberry - tell the stories of how they came aboard the USS Enterprise
and so much more

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,112,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible