Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1976)

by Mildred D. Taylor

Series: Logan Family (4)

9,180369639 (3.95)1 / 182
A black family living in Mississippi during the Depression of the 1930s is faced with prejudice and discrimination which its children do not understand.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (CurrerBell)
    Sounder by William H. Armstrong (kaledrina)

An African-American family fights to stay together in the mid-1930's.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 29, 2021 |
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry tells the story of the Logan family in 1930s Mississippi. Told through the eyes of nine year old Cassie, the story includes humor along with the terror that comes when white folks are unhappy about the fact that Cassie's black family owns land. Cassie is just beginning to learn that the color of her skin means others look down on her. Through her grandmother, she learns how that came to be and through her own experiences she learns about the challenges she will face. This book touches on many of the same themes that we are seeing today. What part of history should we learn? What is systemic racism? What is the truth in our history? How has our history shaped where we are today? ( )
  Mrs.Try | Sep 13, 2021 |
This was about as close to a perfect book as I've read. Mood, perfect. Pacing, perfect. Plot development, perfect. Character development, perfect.
Cassie (narrator) is a nine year old black girl living in Mississippi in the early 20th century. Her family owns land and is passionate about keeping it, while a white neighbor is passionate about trying to get it taken from them. In a book primarily about the injustices of racism, there is one main character who is black, and is a ne'er-do-well, having gone down the wrong path, and two characters, (one child, one adult) who are white, and are decent people in spite of all the white peer pressure for them not to be.
Saying too much about the plot would spoil some things. Just read it. Read this book! ( )
  fingerpost | Aug 31, 2021 |
Realistic look at 1930s Mississippi that everyone should read at some point in their life. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Aug 15, 2021 |
My 11 year old only gave it four stars, he says because the subject matter was disturbing and hard to read. True enough! But an amazing book and I'm sticking with my five star rating. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
Roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is about a family that lived in Mississippi. They owned a lot of land. There were the Wallace’s who were mean white people. There family was big. Papa sent Mr. Morrison to watch all of his family. There was a guy named T.J who took the wrong side of the road. And was blamed for stealing a gun. Papa went down to the land and set a fire so that T.J would not get hurt anymore. In the end, everything turned out great and it did not have to end in violence.

We read this book in my 7th grade LA class. I enjoyed reading it. My favorite part was when Papa set a distraction to make them stop hitting T.J... I loved this book. Everybody should read this. The only part I did not like was when they cursed at the African Americans. I encourage all readers to read this book.
added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editlibrarything.com, Dawson.Beshears

Mildred D. Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinkney, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thigpen, LynneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my beloved father who lived many adventures of the boy Stacey and who was in essence the man David
"Little Man, would you come on?"
As moronic rolls of laughter and cries of 'Nigger! Nigger! Mud eater!" wafted from the open windows, Little Man threw his mudball, missing the wheels by several feet. Then, totally dismayed by what happened, he buried his face in his hands and cried.
For him to believe that he is better than we are makes him think he's important, simply because he's white.
Baby, we have not choice of what color we're born or what our parents are or whether we're rich or poor. What we do have is some choice over what we make of our lives once we're here.
Roll of Thunder
beat me down
But I ain't
gonna let him
Turn me' round

Although the Civil War ended, racial discrimination is still a part of the culture in the South, especially in Mississippi. The story is about the Logan's determination to stand up against prejudice amidst opposition: night riders, burnings, and lynchings. The Logans even face the possibility of losing their source of independence: the land that they own.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140371745, 0141333340

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,467,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible