One Crazy Summer

by Rita Williams-Garcia

Series: Gaither Sisters Trilogy (1)

In the summer of 1968, after travelling from Brooklyn to Oakland, California, to spend a month with the mother they barely know, eleven-year-old Delphine and her two younger sisters arrive to a cold welcome as they discover that their mother, a dedicated poet and printer, is resentful of the intrusion of their visit and wants them to attend a nearby Black Panther summer camp.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (CurrerBell)
    The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although The Rock and the River has a more serious tone, both of these historical novels show the emotionally intense struggle for civil rights--particularly the split in families--between those siding with the Black Panthers and those promoting nonviolence.… (more)
    P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: P.S. Be Eleven is the sequel to One Crazy Summer.
    The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush by Virginia Hamilton (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Similar relationships of main character to mother.

Goodreads Review:

In a humorous and breakout book by Williams-Garcia, the Penderwicks meet the Black Panthers.
  NativityPeaceLibrary | May 27, 2022 |
An interesting look at Oakland in the sixties. I loved Delphine and her sisters, growing into being Black and proud, exploring a new world. Good strong characters, a touch of mystery, and a great learning experience for me. Lovely story. I look forward to finding more stories of these girls. ( )
  njcur | Apr 16, 2022 |
Deftly written story of the 3 Gaither sisters, Delphine, Vonetta and Fern, as they travel to Oakland to meet their mother in a time of revolution and unrest. It's a powerful examination of love and abandonment, a moving portrait of a city and a people in the midst of fury over civil rights, and, oh yeah, also a really engaging children's book that's full of funny characters who have a lot of heart.

It's only a little bit depressing to see how far we haven't come. I was delighted to discover that Cecile is printing on a letterpress in her kitchen -- she who has the press makes the news. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
This book introduced a very interesting world of how three black girls interacted with their Black Panther summer camp in the 1960s. They were introduced to Black Panthers by their estranged mother, who cared more about her poems than her family. The main character, 11-year-old Delphine, learned to like and respect her mother as well as support the values of Black Panther. The author depicted a vivid picture of the community, interspersed with unique, lifelike characters. I got very invested in knowing about the girls' mother, what kind of a person she was, why did she desert her girls...etc. She is an unsympathetic character, but also a very interesting one. ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
3.5stars. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |

Rita Williams-Garciaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, Sisi AishaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the late Churne Lloyd, and especially for Maryhana, Kamau, Ife, and Oni
Good thing the plane had seat belts and we'd been strapped in tight before takeoff. Without them, that last jolt would have been enough to throw Vonetta into orbit and Fern across the aisle.
"It's just the clouds bumping...We push our way into the clouds; the clouds get mad and push back. Like you and Fern fighting over red and gold crayons."...I kept on spinning straw, making everything all right. That's mainly what I do. Keep Vonetta and Fern in line. The last thing Pa and Big Ma wanted to hear was how we made a grand Negro spectacle of ourselves thirty thousand feet up in the air around all these white people.

In the summer of 1968, after traveling from Brooklyn to Oakland, California, to spend a month with the mother they barely know, eleven-year-old Delphine and her two younger sisters arrive to a cold welcome as they discover that their mother, a dedicated poet and printer, is resentful of the intrusion of their visit and wants them to attend a nearby Black Panther summer camp.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,707,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible