One Crazy Summer

by Rita Williams-Garcia

Series: Gaither Sisters Trilogy (1)

2,7472003,820 (4.17)94
In the summer of 1968, after travelling from Brooklyn to Oakland, California, to spend a month with the mother they barely know, eleven-year-old Delphine and her two younger sisters arrive to a cold welcome as they discover that their mother, a dedicated poet and printer, is resentful of the intrusion of their visit and wants them to attend a nearby Black Panther summer camp.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (CurrerBell)
    The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although The Rock and the River has a more serious tone, both of these historical novels show the emotionally intense struggle for civil rights--particularly the split in families--between those siding with the Black Panthers and those promoting nonviolence.… (more)
    P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: P.S. Be Eleven is the sequel to One Crazy Summer.
    The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush by Virginia Hamilton (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Similar relationships of main character to mother.

Eleven-year-old Delphine has it together. Even though her mother, Cecile, abandoned her and her younger sisters, Vonetta and Fern, seven years ago. Even though her father and Big Ma will send them from Brooklyn to Oakland, California, to stay with Cecile for the summer. And even though Delphine will have to take care of her sisters, as usual, and learn the truth about the missing pieces of the past. When the girls arrive in Oakland in the summer of 1968, Cecile wants nothing to do with them. She makes them eat Chinese takeout dinners, forbids them to enter her kitchen, and never explains the strange visitors with Afros and black berets who knock on her door. Rather than spend time with them, Cecile sends Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern to a summer camp sponsored by a revolutionary group, the Black Panthers, where the girls get a radical new education.
Set during one of the most tumultuous years in recent American history, one crazy summer is the heartbreaking, funny tale of three girls in search of the mother who abandoned them - an unforgettable story told by a distinguished author of books for children and teens, Rita Williams-Garcia. Winner of the 2011 Coretta Scott King Author Book Award 2011 Newbery Honor Book
  stwombly | Apr 25, 2021 |
This book follows the story of three sisters who went to Oakland, California to visit their mother who left them seven years ago. Instead of experiencing the fun summer, they had anticipated, their mother sent them to a camp run by the Black Panther. Through this unexpected experience, they were able to gain a deeper understanding of who they are, their origins, and growing closer together as a family. This would be a great book to introduce students to the Civil Rights movement and learning more about the Black Panthers. IT would also be a great book to better understand the struggles African Americans had to face and still face today. This would be a great read for those in upper elementary to early middle school. ( )
  sobiec | Apr 22, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it spoke volumes in numerous situations that are super prevalent and can be applied today. This is a story about sisters who spend a summer with. and learning about, the Black Panther Party. They have some serious conversations about the systemic problems in America and even touch on what the children's roles are in this problem. There are several good themes in this book, but one that really stood out to me was the power of a name. This is an excellent book to reference when speaking about the importance of one's true identity and one's place in the world. I believe that this is a story that belongs in the classroom, but for older students who are able to grasp large-scale problems. I felt like the purpose of this book is to explain this history and these problems to younger children, but depending on the child it still might be too much. This is definitely a book that I plan on bringing into the classroom, but only in my classes for older students who can handle it.
  i.c.garcia524 | Apr 19, 2021 |
I wasn't wowed by it, but I'm glad to have read it and will plan on reading the other two in the series. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |

Rita Williams-Garciaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, Sisi AishaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the late Churne Lloyd, and especially for Maryhana, Kamau, Ife, and Oni
Good thing the plane had seat belts and we'd been strapped in tight before takeoff. Without them, that last jolt would have been enough to throw Vonetta into orbit and Fern across the aisle.
"It's just the clouds bumping...We push our way into the clouds; the clouds get mad and push back. Like you and Fern fighting over red and gold crayons."...I kept on spinning straw, making everything all right. That's mainly what I do. Keep Vonetta and Fern in line. The last thing Pa and Big Ma wanted to hear was how we made a grand Negro spectacle of ourselves thirty thousand feet up in the air around all these white people.

In the summer of 1968, after traveling from Brooklyn to Oakland, California, to spend a month with the mother they barely know, eleven-year-old Delphine and her two younger sisters arrive to a cold welcome as they discover that their mother, a dedicated poet and printer, is resentful of the intrusion of their visit and wants them to attend a nearby Black Panther summer camp.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,840,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible