The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963

by Christopher Paul Curtis

6,1943871,306 (4.12)81
The ordinary interactions and everyday routines of the Watsons, an African American family living in Flint, Michigan, are drastically changed after they go to visit Grandma in Alabama in the summer of 1963.
    Iron Thunder (I Witness) by Avi (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: I was reminded of the historical accout when I read this book. For Historical Fiction Lovers
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine (foggidawn)

A family oriented book that illustrates what life was like as an African American and how it affects a family. ( )
  Mia_Cha | Apr 1, 2022 |
"I don't know, Kenny. Momma and Dad say they can' t help themselves, they did it because they' re sick, but I don' t know. I ain't never heard of no sickness that make you kill little girls just because you don't want them in your school. I don't think they're sick at all, I think they just let hate eat them up and turn them into monsters" ( )
  Yogivi | Mar 17, 2022 |
Independent Reading Level - Grade 5+
Awards: Newbery and Coretta Scott King Award
  NiaMHackney | Nov 14, 2021 |
The Watsons go to Birmingham has always been an important book to me because there is so much important history in the story. The Watson family sets out on a trip to Birmingham during the civil rights movement and one of the saddest moments in history. Students should read this book because it shows pivotal moments in the civil rights movement, and moves students to understand the stress of that time. ( )
  Leamoore | Nov 4, 2021 |
The family really leaps off the page. I just wanted more. More about what happened. Why couldn't it be a series about civil rights? I know he's written about previous eras but couldn't there be a series following other members/friends of the family? And more background on Rufus would have been nice. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Carole Robertson
Born 4/24/49, died 9/15/63
Cynthia Wesley
Born 4/30/49, died 9/15/63
the toll for one day in one city
This book is dedicated to my parents, Dr. Herman and Leslie Lewis Curtis, who have given their children both roots and wings and encouraged us to soar; my sister, Cydney Eleanor Curtis, who has been unfailingly supportive, kind and herself; and above all to my wife, Kaysandra Anne Sookram Curtis, who has provided a warmth and love that have allowed me to laugh, to grow and, most importantly, to dream.
It was one of those super-duper-cold Saturdays.
"Some of the time I wondered if something really was wrong with me. Byron had just told me that someone had dropped a bomb on Joey's church, hadn't he? If that was true why was I only thinking about how much trouble By was going to be in when they heard how loud he'd slammed the screen door, and asking myself why hadn't he put on his shoes? His socks wouldn't last two minutes on the Alabama mud."

A family story, both comic and moving, touches on the frightening times of the early civil rights movement.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,805,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible