Mandy by Julie Andrews

Mandy (1971)

by Julie Andrews

Series: Julie Andrews collection

This was a story about a little Orphan girl named Mandy, she was always looking for a little bit more. A family. There was a large wall beside the Orphanage and she decided that she was going to climb it one day to see what was behind it and she finds a path and the path leads to a little cottage. Once she finds the cottage she decides that she's going to weed out all the flower beds, plant flowers, tie back the rose tree and just fix it up in general, she wanted to make the place of her very own. She had always wanted something that was only hers and with the cottage she had found that one thing. Well in the end she finds her family and gets adopted.

I liked it a lot. It was a sweet little story that children of all ages and adults will enjoy this book. As it was getting towards the end I kinda guessed what would happen at the end and I was right, but even though I guessed the end I still enjoyed the book very well. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
I remembered this only vaguely from childhood, so it was good to re-read it. It certainly has a somewhat dated feel to it, but still enjoyable. The orphan Mandy longs for a place of her own and finds it: over the wall behind the orphanage, through the forest, she finds an abandoned cottage with a room entirely decorated in seashells. Mandy sets about making the place hers, evading her friend Sue and buying or "borrowing" items to clean the cottage and weed and plant the garden. When Mandy falls ill and heads to the cottage, only Sue knows where to find her, and the new owner of the estate, Bill, rescues her and brings her home. Mandy recuperates at Cranston Hall with Bill and Ann and their son Jonathan; she celebrates Christmas with them but then must return to the orphanage. Of course, unbeknownst to Mandy, this is only so that adoption papers can be put in order, and she gets to go live with the Fitzgeralds permanently. Then, having gotten her dearest wish, she asks if they can give the cottage to the other orphanage children, as a place of their own to come and play. Mandy has a quiet strength of character, adventurous independence, and a generous spirit. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 12, 2018 |
For 10-year-old Mandy,, the old stone orphanage was the only home she remembered. Matron Bridie was kind to her, but there were 30 children to look after, and sometimes Mandy felt there was something missing.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I probably read this book 50 times when I was a little girl! ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
This was one of my all time favorite reads as a child. I'm a bit afraid to read it now, and see how unlovely it is (if that's the case). I had no idea who Julie Andrews was when I read it (or at least I don't think I did). ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |

Julie Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Judith Gwyn BrownIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for jenny
because i promised
On the outskirts of a pretty country village called St. Martin's Green, there stands a large, white house called St. Martin's Orphanage.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064402967, Paperback)

For an orphan child whose life is filled with comfortable, predictable sameness, with no particular hardships, life is, well, all right. Really, what does Mandy have to worry about? So it comes as a surprise even to Mandy when a small restlessness begins to grow in her. This lonely ache sets her to wandering farther afield, and leads her to a startling and wonderful discovery over the orphanage wall--a very old, very small, seemingly abandoned cottage. Embarking on a clandestine domestic fantasy involving gardening tools and soap flakes, Mandy finds herself being less than honest about where and how she's spending her days. Holding her secret closer and closer to her heart, this imaginative dreamer inadvertently endangers her reputation--and her life.

For every child who has fallen in love with The Secret Garden or A Little Princess, Julie Andrews Edwards's 1971 novel will be a heartwarming discovery. Any sometimes-lonely child with a giant imagination will recognize Mandy's dreams and rejoice in her ultimate fairy-tale happy ending. Judith Gwyn Brown's Edward Gorey-esque pen and ink drawings (with none of Gorey's sinister air) are quietly memorable. Fans of Julie Andrews Edwards--Sound of Music star of stage and screen--will be thrilled to see her latest children's book, Little Bo: The Story of Bonnie Boadicea, or to an earlier favorite, The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:30 -0400)

Longing for a place of her own, a ten-year-old orphan creates a secret home in a deserted cottage in the village of St. Martin's Green.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,765,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible