The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket

The Wide Window (1999)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (3)

English (93)  Spanish (1)  All languages (94)
This adventure with the Baudelaire children is definitely my favorite story-wise. Despite telling the same story throughout each of these books, in which the children must evade the evil Count Olaf, it still feels fresh and inventive each time. This book, in particular, gripped my attention quickly and kept me interested the whole way through. I actually would have rated this book five stars, but there were several scenes that made me uncomfortable as they appeared to be transphobic. I haven't seen any other reviews commenting on this matter, so I may have just read the situation wrong, but I wanted to give potential readers a heads up just in case that was the case. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Every story in the "Series of Unfortunate Events" so far has been fun, but I especially loved the wordplay in this book and the fact that it throws out the window (ahem) some of the patterned elements of the previous two stories so that the series can grow and stay interesting to readers. The story also has a powerful message about facing your fears. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Jan 28, 2018 |
This is the third installment in the series of dismaying books.
The Baudelaires arrive at Damocles Dock, at the edge of Lake Lacrymose, after the death of their parents and previous guardian. Their banker Mr. Poe, who wasn't ever any help, sent them cab fare, and the Baudelaires were on their way to their Aunt Josephine, not knowing that the wretched and evil Count Olaf was on their trail (or fortune). Being told that Josephine was a brave woman, the Baudelaire children were surprised that she was afraid about everything. She left them at home (which dangled above a precipice) since a hurricane was coming and they needed food. At the market Josephine found Count Olaf, who was disguised as a sailboat retailer with the pseudonym Captain Sham. Josephine didn`t know and invited him to the house. The Baudelaires immediately knew it was the Count, but Josephine did not realize until it was too late. She said that she would be going out with Sham that night and sent them to bed. The Baudelaire children heard a crash from the library. When the went in they found a human-shaped hole in the wide window of the room. They were suspicious that Count Olaf (who murdered their previous guardian) killed Aunt Josephine. All they found was a suicide note which Klaus ,the middle Baudelaire, found had grammar mistakes all throughout it. Violet, the eldest, called Mr. Poe ,thinking the note must have been forged. It turned out the note wasn't forged, but the children knew there was something fishy about the note. Count Olaf invited the Baudelaires, along with Mr. Poe, who still didn't know, to brunch. The Baudelaires needed to investigate the note, so the have themselves allergic reactions with pepppermints. They headed to the house, as the hurricane came. Klaus, along with his sisters, Violet and Sunny (the youngest) deducted the errors in the note were intentional (since Aunt Josephine loved grammmar) and it made the phrase CURDLED CAVE. Just then, one of the support beams on the house snapped, causing the house to lurch forward, and as the Baudelaires ran as fast as they could out of the house , the house plunged into the lake below. The children stole a sailboat and, despite sailing in a hurricane, sailed to Curdled Cave. They found Josephine the and tried sailing back. However, near the middle of the lake she told them she had a banana right before they came. In the water were Lacrymose Leeches which could smell food a mile away, and had seven rows of sharp teeth and a sharp nose. The leeches quickly attacked the boat. When they thought they would die, a boat arrived. The boat was manned by Count Olaf, who pushed Aunt Josephine in to the lake after Josephine tried letting the Count have the children. When they arrived on the dock, Sunny bit the fake pegleg Captain Sham had, revealing the eye tattoo he was infamous for. Count Olaf escaped, and the Baudelaires did too. The children escaped in a lumber truck, while Mr. Poe was confused about where everyone went.
If you've read my other reviews you would know I like Lemony Snicket's work.
Honestly, this book is my second favorite (the first being The Ersatz Elevator) and it is really well done. My favorite part is when the house plummets into the lake. What makes this penny-dreadful-style edition great is that it has neat bonus material like the "Spoily Brats" comic at the end. It also has bonus pictures scattered throughout the book. If you like A Series of Unfortunate Events (well you would if your reading the reviews) and haven't read this edition or even the book, you should. I really liked this book and you might, too. ( )
  GeoffreyA.G1 | Jan 17, 2018 |
Yet again, the three Baudelaire children find themselves having to adjust to another home and caretaker. In The Wide Window, they are sent to live with a distant relative, Aunt Josephine. Aunt Josephine lives at the top of a high hill overlooking Lake Lachrymose. She is a fearful woman who is afraid of being electrocuted by her own telephone and refuses to turn on her radiator because it might cause an explosion. She only prepares cold meals because of her fear of the stove. Aunt Josephine loves grammar and would make Lynne Truss proud with her boldness in pointing out grievous grammatical errors. The children are trying to make the best of their situation with Aunt Josephine when their lives suddenly grow much worse with the appearance of an old nemesis.

I found myself laughing out loud and reading passages to my husband as I went along just as I had with the previous two books. The dedications in these books are worth reading as well. Although I am enjoying the series and would like to read more, I am ready for a break. The stories are funny and entertaining, however, they are very similar and somewhat predictable.
  LiteraryFeline | Nov 25, 2017 |
It has a grammar puzzle in it. :) ( )
  lilrongal | Nov 20, 2017 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice — I would much prefer it if you were alive and well.
If you didn't know much about the Baudelaire orphans, and you saw them sitting on their suitcases at Damocles Dock, you might think that they were bound for an exciting adventure.
Just because something is typed—whether it is typed on a business card or typed in a newspaper—this does not mean that it is true.
But even if they could go home it would be difficult for me to tell you what the moral of the story is. In some stories, it's easy. The moral of "The Three Bears," for instance, is "Never break into someone else's house." The moral of "Snow White" is "Never eat apples." The moral of World War One is "Never assassinate Archduke Ferdinand." But Violet, Klaus, and Sunny sat on the dock and watched the sun come up over Lake Lachrymose and wondered exactly what the moral was of their time with Aunt Josephine.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407683, Hardcover)

In The Bad Beginning, things, well, begin badly for the three Baudelaire orphans. And sadly, events only worsen in The Reptile Room. In the third in Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, there is still no hope on the horizon for these poor children. Their adventures are exciting and memorable, but, as the author points out, "exciting and memorable like being chased by a werewolf through a field of thorny bushes at midnight with nobody around to help you."

This story begins when the orphans are being escorted by the well-meaning Mr. Poe to yet another distant relative who has agreed to take them in since their parents were killed in a horrible fire. Aunt Josephine, their new guardian, is their second cousin's sister-in-law, and she is afraid of everything. Her house (perched precariously on a cliff above Lake Lachrymose) is freezing because she is afraid of the radiator exploding, she eats cold cucumber soup because she's afraid of the stove, and she doesn't answer the telephone due to potential electrocution dangers. Her greatest joy in life is grammar, however, and when it comes to the proper use of the English language, she is fearless.

But just when she should be the most fearful--when Count Olaf creeps his way back to find the Baudelaire orphans and steal their fortune--she somehow lets her guard down. Once again, it is up to Violet, Klaus, and Sunny to get themselves out of danger. Will they succeed? We haven't the stomach to tell you. (Ages 9 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

Catastrophes and misfortune continue to plague the Baudelaire orphans after they're sent to live with fearful Aunt Josephine who offers little protection against Count Olaf's treachery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,806,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible