The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket

The Wide Window (1999)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (3)

English (97)  Spanish (1)  All languages (98)
These books are quick and quirky! I enjoy all the underlying things in this series!
Sadly the children don't find a home and the count is still after them, of course Poe doesn't believe them and treats them as though they know nothing. Their "aunt" is so involved with her fears she doesn't take care of the children properly. It's a shame. Off to the next book to see how horrible things go ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
The plot evolved yet more in this book. I like how the idea that Count Olaf might seduce one of their guardians was introduced, though it didn't necessarily come to fruition.

Besides the elementary schooler complaint that I continue to have, I think this book happened far too quickly. The story arc could have been stretched, and then we would have been able to explore that seduction angle more fully.

Yet, the three main characters continue to grow and it is in this books that they finally start to realize that they can't always count on adults to be smart and save them. I'm excited to see how this continues to evolve throughout the series. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Out of the three books I have read in the series this was my least favorite of them. It isn't a bad story, but when you are reading them more quickly than they were originally published you get a little worn out of the fact no one is listening to these children and that people cannot see through rather simplistic disguises. Also this felt like it suffered a bit from middle-bookitis as I call it, which is an author of a series throwing anything and everything together for a plot that is somewhere in the middle of a series. Often this ends up with a plot that just doesn't feel like a truly interesting and well-thought out book. I am hoping that in the subsequent books we get less carting off to a family member and some engaging underlying plot of the entire series instead of one book off stories. This will provide a reason to continue on into the other ten books of the series, otherwise I may unfortunately end my time with this series of events. ( )
  CassieWinters | Oct 30, 2018 |
After their last misadventure, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny are sent to live with their aunt Josephine, a woman with many irrational fears and a house perched on the edge of a cliff. The trio of siblings do their best to make a lovely new home, but the threat of Count Olaf is never far...

This series continues to please with over-the-top characters and scenarios accompanied by a salty brand of humor. You'll be rooting for the Baudelaires, especially as they start to put together pieces about their parents' past. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
The puzzle didn't work well spoken aloud, but the Leeches and Olaf and what-next? continue admirably. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice — I would much prefer it if you were alive and well.
If you didn't know much about the Baudelaire orphans, and you saw them sitting on their suitcases at Damocles Dock, you might think that they were bound for an exciting adventure.
Just because something is typed—whether it is typed on a business card or typed in a newspaper—this does not mean that it is true.
But even if they could go home it would be difficult for me to tell you what the moral of the story is. In some stories, it's easy. The moral of "The Three Bears," for instance, is "Never break into someone else's house." The moral of "Snow White" is "Never eat apples." The moral of World War One is "Never assassinate Archduke Ferdinand." But Violet, Klaus, and Sunny sat on the dock and watched the sun come up over Lake Lachrymose and wondered exactly what the moral was of their time with Aunt Josephine.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407683, Hardcover)

In The Bad Beginning, things, well, begin badly for the three Baudelaire orphans. And sadly, events only worsen in The Reptile Room. In the third in Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, there is still no hope on the horizon for these poor children. Their adventures are exciting and memorable, but, as the author points out, "exciting and memorable like being chased by a werewolf through a field of thorny bushes at midnight with nobody around to help you."

This story begins when the orphans are being escorted by the well-meaning Mr. Poe to yet another distant relative who has agreed to take them in since their parents were killed in a horrible fire. Aunt Josephine, their new guardian, is their second cousin's sister-in-law, and she is afraid of everything. Her house (perched precariously on a cliff above Lake Lachrymose) is freezing because she is afraid of the radiator exploding, she eats cold cucumber soup because she's afraid of the stove, and she doesn't answer the telephone due to potential electrocution dangers. Her greatest joy in life is grammar, however, and when it comes to the proper use of the English language, she is fearless.

But just when she should be the most fearful--when Count Olaf creeps his way back to find the Baudelaire orphans and steal their fortune--she somehow lets her guard down. Once again, it is up to Violet, Klaus, and Sunny to get themselves out of danger. Will they succeed? We haven't the stomach to tell you. (Ages 9 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

Catastrophes and misfortune continue to plague the Baudelaire orphans after they're sent to live with fearful Aunt Josephine who offers little protection against Count Olaf's treachery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible