Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography (2002)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (supplement)

The elusive author provides a glimpse into his mysterious and sometimes confusing life, using fanciful letters, diary entries, and other miscellaneous documents as well as photographs and illustrations.

Pages loose. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
This doesn’t help me at all. ( )
1 vote Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
I must admit that this book was not at all what I'd hoped it would be. I went into it with the expectation that it would be written in the more traditional style of an autobiography and would tell us the story about the older generation of VFD members and the events leading up to A Series of Unfortunate Events. However, I was probably silly to assume Lemony Snicket, of all people, would be so straightforward about anything. Instead, it was a collection of letters, articles, pictures, and coded messages that give little insights into various aspects of Lemony Snicket's life and other issues tangential to the main series. It did provide us with some interesting information, such as how children are inducted into VFD and why Mr. Poe never acknowledged the Baudelaire's telegram, and I liked seeing the story get fleshed out a little more in that way. At the same time, however, it still fails to answer the bigger and more significant questions I had (first and foremost being the significance of the sugar bowl). Anyhow, I thought this was a fun read and worth it to anyone who simply enjoyed A Series of Unfortunate Events and wants a little more, but definitely don't go into it expecting it to reveal everything you've ever wanted to know. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
I have seen a few episodes of the show, but this is my first experience with Snicket's writing. It was fun...kind of like if Willy Wonka wrote a Hardy Boys book. ( )
  Bricker | Feb 7, 2019 |
Nice, funny supplement to the stories. With illustrations, photos and sarcasm.
Defiantly not to be read as a stand alone book.
You need to be familiar with the books to get it. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 16, 2018 |
The Unauthorized Autobiography is a most curious work. The strangeness begins at first encounter, with the binding: the hardback cover encloses the volume on its four high sides, vertically divided down the centre of the front cover for opening. The back cover reproduces Lemony Snicket’s obituary as printed in The Daily Punctilio, a yellow ‘post-it’ superimposed at the foot, with the handwritten message:
‘This obituary is filled with errors – most importantly – I AM NOT DEAD! – LS’.
The text runs to xxii + 212 pages, with a six-page index.
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 7, 2009)

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Lemony Snicket, author of A Series of Unfortunate Events, the purportedly true chronicles of the Baudelaire children, was reported dead today by anonymous and possibly unreliable sources.
No part of this book may be used, reproduced, destroyed, tampered with, or eaten without written permission except in the case of brief, possibly coded quotations embodied in critical articles, reviews and subpoenas. Allegedly printed in the United States of America. For information address Harper Collins Children's Books, a division of HarperCollins Publishers, 1350 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10019, although the people at this publishing house have no idea where the documents enclosed in this book came from. If you recognize yourself in any of the photographs of illustrations in this book you may find yourself in Very Frightening Danger and/or slightly embarrassed but there is nothing you can do about it. Please note that the author has been called a fraud, a criminal, a bestseller, a corpse, a fictional character, an unreliable narrator, an objective flaneur, an embattled gentleman, a magnetic field, an arsonist, and late for dinner by an odd number of dubious authorities. Send help at once. All rights reserved. Wouldn't you rather read about ponies?
"Snicket makes complicated arrangements for the delivery of the manuscript of the next book to his publisher, on the Lemony Snicket website and in Snicket's Unauthorized Autobiography. To further amuse readers, the U.S. hardcover edition of this book has a reversible dust jacket that can be "disguised" as The Luckiest Kids in the World Book 1: The Pony Party! by "Loney M. Setnick," which is an anagram of "Lemony Snicket".

A Warning from the Publisher: Many readers have questions about Lemony Snicket, author of the distressing serial concerning the trials of the charming but unlucky Baudelaire orphans, published under the collective title A Series of Unfortunate Events. Before purchasing, borrowing, or stealing this book, you should be aware that it contains the answers to some of those questions, such as the following: 1. Who is Lemony? 2. Is there a secret organization I should know about? 3. Why does Lemony Snicket spend his time researching and writing distressing books concerning the Baudelaire orphans? 4. Why do all of Lemony Snicket's books contain a sad dedication to a woman named Beatrice? 5. If there's nothing out there, what was that noise? Our advice to you is that you find a book that answers less upsetting questions than this one. Perhaps your librarian, bookseller, or parole officer can recommend a book that answers the question, "Aren't ponies adorable?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible