Eleanor and Franklin by Joseph P. Lash

Eleanor and Franklin (1971)

by Joseph P. Lash

Lash had acess to records and a long personal friendship with Eleanor Roosevelt. This is a remarkably complete biography of a woman who lived a very full life.
  carterchristian1 | Jun 21, 2009 |
1212 Eleanor and Franklin: The story of their relationship based on Eleanor Roosevelt's private papers, by Joseph P. Lash (read 8 Apr 1973) (Pulitzer Biography prize for 1972) (National Book Award biography prize for 1973) I found the first part of this book--up to 1933--was absorbing: the kind of life lived by Eleanor and Franklin, etc. But the part on the Presidency years was poorly written, slap-dash, boring. They had a strange relationship, after 1918. The book ends with FDR's death. I do not believe I will read the sequel. The author is not objective. ( )
  Schmerguls | Apr 12, 2009 |
Read this about 35 years ago and recall that is was a great read. ( )
  latinobookgeek | Mar 8, 2007 |
Exhaustive look at Eleanor and Franklin. I wanted to enjoy this book and did for about 40% of it. Then I just couldn't take it any more. I read Lash's book Helen and Teacher about Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan so was familiar with the way he can jump around. He seems to know the story he is telling and at times leaves out what must have been pertinent information as I am found wondering if there isn't a critical tidbit I have missed or misunderstood. If he wrote more clearly it would certainly make an estensive book even longer. I had to stop reading. ( )
1 vote BoundTogetherForGood | Mar 6, 2007 |

Joseph P. Lashprimary authorall editionscalculated
Roosevelt Jr., Franklin D.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlesinger, Arthur M. Jr.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife Trude
Preface: The first Roosevelt, Claes Martenszen van Rosenvelt, arrived from Holland in the 1640s when new Amsterdam was a tiny settlement of 800 huddled in some eighty houses at the foot of Manhattan.
Eleanor Roosevelt was born on October 11, 1884.

ELEANOR AND FRANKLIN
is the intimate chronicle of a woman and a marriage. The woman was Eleanor Roosevelt, and her marriage to Franklin D Roosevelt - with its painful secrets and public triumphs - played a vital role not only in the lives of these two extraordinary human beings but in the lives of all humanity. Here is one of the great and moving stories of our time - a masterpiece of vivid evocation and sympathetic understanding. "Monumental"
~ New York Times

Wholly absorbing and richly documented  ...
Eleanor Roosevelt's major burdens as a woman were two: the first was Sara Delano Roosevelt, her mother-in-law, oppressor, tyrant, self-appointed possessor of her son Franklin and every thing and person close to him. The other was Eleanor's burden of anguish born through Franklin's love affair with Lucy Mercer, whom Eleanor had employed as a social secretary
~ Marya Mannes, The Atlantic Monthly

Eleanor and Franklin: The Story of their Relationship, based on E, by Lash, Joseph P.. 1st ptg. 8vo.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

Gives insight into Eleanor's childhood, how she overcame personal insecurity, how she coped as a politician's wife, and describes her relationship with her husband, Franklin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,453,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible