HomeGroupsTalkExplore

George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides (2004)

by Rosalyn Schanzer

Explores how the characters and lives of King George III of England and George Washington affected the progress and outcome of the American Revolution.

The illustrations are colorful and bring to life both sides of the American Revolution. The narrative introduces the two enemies, both named George: George Washington, and King George III. The two leaders are on different sides of the Atlantic, and yet have more in common than we sometimes realize. It is set up with headings/chapters to separate the text into sections.

There are two sides to every story!
  mcnamea | Feb 16, 2022 |
Recommended by book club (Brita, Alicia, Cora)

This clever concept shows both sides' view of how the American Revolution began, played out, and ended, taking the perspective of both George Washington and King George III, from 1763 until the Treaty of Paris 1783 (the Afterword explains what both Georges did after that).

Though the format is a picture book, this material is intended for older readers; the author covers tarring and feathering, soldiers' raping and murdering civilians, and maltreatment of prisoners (starvation, etc.). Informative illustrations, direct quotes, and the occasional map enhance the text.

Back matter includes an Afterword ("What ever happened to King George III?" and "What did George Washington do next?"), acknowledgments, bibliography, quote sources, and an index; there is no timeline, which would have been a helpful thing to include. ( )
  JennyArch | Feb 11, 2021 |
I like this book because it gives two side to the story. On the side of the Americans, we are strong and independent. On the side of the British, we are ungrateful and spoiled. I think that it is good for students to be able to find counter arguments to the things that they have learned in their classes through out the year. ( )
  KatelynDawn | Apr 6, 2020 |
973.3
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
What a phenomenal read to share with my boys! A terrific, simplified explanation of the world that led up to and engaged in the Revolutionary War. The facts and quotes were woven with moving language bringing the reality of King George and George Washington to life. I had to correct a minor point that could be misconstrued by impressionable young minds, but that's my job and I'm fine doing that, since the book simply states history the way we've taught it for over 200 years. Very nicely done overall. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
For Nancy, Jane, and Steve
There were once two enemies who were both named George.

This picture book explains the difference between King George of Great Britain and George Washington, the first president of the United States. It also explains the events surrounding the American Revolution from the point of view of the British and colonists.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,815,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible