Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell

Vampires in the Lemon Grove

by Karen Russell

Trismegistus.
The enveloping, subtle, resonant tone of these stories alone makes them great.
The otherwise-unimaginable plots, taken to their unexpected-yet-inevitable ends make them great.
The casually dropped jewels of phrase ("that sun ate lakes")make them great.
There is a word for this quality of work: trismegistus.
Karen Russell is undiminished. All Hail! ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
For my creative writing seminar in college we read a few of these short stories, and I remembered being simply flabbergasted at how exquisitely weird and beautiful they were. I had always intended to finish reading all of them, and I am so glad I finally did. I believe "The New Veterans" is above and beyond the best one in this collection, but my other favorites are "Spinning for the Empire", "The Seagull Army Descends on Strong Beach, 1979", and "The Barn at the End of Our Term". No matter how absurd or bizarre or magical the story Karen Russell made me believe it 100%, and she did so in the most stunning language. I was so sad when I finished the final story, and I am desperate to read every single word she has ever penned. ( )
  ilikeike | Nov 3, 2018 |
Mixed bag for me, I liked some of the stories, but some of them I really disliked. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Wonderful short stories with a supernatural/fantasy theme ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
A collection of truly bizarre short stories: human silk worms, future-stealing seagulls, horse presidents, window smugglers, and other strange happenings all over the world and throughout history. I'm not sure if I could honestly say I really enjoyed these stories. There were a lot of really unusual and interesting concepts, but the plots and characters left something to be desired.

A note on the audio: Usually I don't like multiple narrators, but I think it works to have a different reader for each story here, especially since they take place in so many different places. It would be strange for the same person to read as the teenage boy in 1970s Australia and as the young girl in 19th century Japan, for example. ( )
  melydia | Mar 16, 2018 |
...the more persuasive stories in this book feature genuine outsiders who consider themselves monsters — because they are ugly or different, set apart from others by their looks or experience or self-conscious self-loathing.

It is these monsters that Ms. Russell portrays with such sympathy and inventiveness, and it is her ability to immerse us in their daily experiences and the exotic or not-so-exotic worlds they inhabit that underscore her fecund and constantly surprising storytelling gifts.

For J.T.
In October, the men and women of Sorrento harvest the primofiore, or first flowering fruit, the most succulent lemons; in March, the yellow bianchetti ripen, followed in June by the greenverdelli.
Please do not combine with the single story. This is the collection of stories.

The audio version of this book is amazing, with different narrators for each story. Fabulous evocation of atmosphere: the horror creeps up on you, it's subtle!

Six short stories with subjects ranging from a dejected teenager who discovers that the universe is communicating with him through talismanic objects left behind in a seagull's nest to two vampires in a sun-drenched lemon grove who try helplessly to slake their thirst for blood.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,611,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible