Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton

Eaters of the Dead (1976)

by Michael Crichton

English (57)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (62)
Read this a while ago and then I listened to it.
A clever re-telling of Beowolf with a Arabic visitor telling the tale, read it after I saw the film, which I really enjoyed. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 5, 2019 |
As with all of Michael Crichton's books, this one was easy to read and didn't take me long once I got into it. It's also full of gore, sex, and sensationalism, all easy to digest during lazy summer reading. Again, I must emphasize that I don't like violence, but in small doses and in such contexts it's acceptable, even fascinating...rather like all violence, your intent isn't to look it in the eye, but at the same time you can't pull yourself away. And, while sex is always fun, here it's from the barbaric male point of view, an underlying sign of Crichton's own sexism (very apparent if you read his non-fiction Travels). Not that I don't still enjoy his works. Not to spoil anything, but EotD is basically the story of Beowulf with the names slightly changed and from an Arabic viewpoint. It turns out more or less the same as well, the fight with Grendel (creatures named wendol, collectively), the ripping off of the arm, the plunge into water to fight the mother of the wendol, and the death of Beowulf. The fictional scholars in the end debate whether or not the wendol were in fact surviving Neanderthals, which was interesting. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish fact from fiction in his books, they're so infused with scientific (or scientific-sounding) tidbits, but I think at least his descriptions of Viking customs were correct (I'm aligning this with the little I know about Vikings here...all I know is that I associate them with horned hats and big women singing opera).
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Interesting reselling of the Beowulf saga. I think I see where GeorgeRR Martin got some of his ideas. The book is interesting especially because it reads as a factual, recently located document written at the time of the event. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
This was a great effort from Michael Crichton. ( )
  MikeDI | May 27, 2018 |
Ok. So I'm really, really into vikings right now? Because of that TV show Vikings? That's about vikings? And, so, like I read this book? And the book is okay?

I recommend it if you are into vikings?
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |

Michael Crichtonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miller, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Praise not the day until evening has come; a woman until she is burnt; a sword until it is tried; a maiden until she is married; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk."
- Viking Proverb

"Evil is of old date."
- Arab Proverb
To William Howells
The Ibn Fadlan manuscript represents the earliest known eyewitness account of Viking life and society.
Later reissued as The 13th Warrior

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345354613, Mass Market Paperback)

Michael Crichton takes the listener on a one-thousand-year-old journey in his adventure novel Eaters Of The Dead. This remarkable true story originated from actual journal entries of an Arab man who traveled with a group of Vikings throughout northern Europe. In 922 A.D, Ibn Fadlan, a devout Muslim, left his home in Baghdad on a mission to the King of Saqaliba. During his journey, he meets various groups of "barbarians" who have poor hygiene and gorge themselves on food, alcohol and sex. For Fadlan, his new traveling companions are a far stretch from society in the sophisticated "City of Peace." The conservative and slightly critical man describes the Vikings as "tall as palm trees with florid and ruddy complexions." Fadlan is astonished by their lustful aggression and their apathy towards death. He witnesses everything from group orgies to violent funeral ceremonies. Despite the language and cultural barriers, Ibn Fadlan is welcomed into the clan. The leader of the group, Buliwyf (who can communicate in Latin) takes Fadlan under his wing.

Without warning, the chieftain is ordered to haul his warriors back to Scandinavia to save his people from the "monsters of the mist." Ibn Fadlan follows the clan and must rise to the occasion in the battle of his life.--Gina Kaysen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Now a major motion picture from Touchstone Films, starring Antonio Banderas. In the year A.D. 922, a refined Arab courtier, representative of the powerful Caliph of Baghdad, encounters a party of Viking warriors on their journey to the barbaric North. He is appalled by Viking customs--the wanton sexuality of their pale, angular women, their disregard for cleanliness, their cold-blooded human sacrifices. But only in the depths of the Northland does he learn the horrifying truth: he has been enlisted to combat a terror that comes under cover of night to slaughter the Vikings and devour their flesh.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,753,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible