The Fate of the Earth by Jonathan Schell

The Fate of the Earth

by Jonathan Schell

Recently added byprivate library, hosehead51, JanSeemann, DIWalker1960, JacksonTLI, CAHobbs, StJohnsEpiscopalWS
Legacy LibrariesJack Layton, Walker Percy

Nearly thirty years old, this book is still, unfortunately, a must-read. The threat of nuclear war is very real and no one explores its consequences better than Schell. ( )
  nmele | Jun 16, 2017 |
Of course, today we are EMPHASIZING climate disruption, and this had been modeled and predicted before. Reflecting analytically about the issues of ecological ethics are not entirely different - STRUCTURALLY - from reflecting analytically about ethical issues in the practice of the professions, nor in social values that may be deemed 'unique' (like health, autonomy, freedom for self-realization, etc.). The work of ethical analysis may remain before us. ( )
  vegetarian | Nov 9, 2012 |

When Jonathan Schell heard all that loose talk about attainment of objectives in a limited nuclear war, it was too much for him and he did what all of us would like to do: he wrote a book.

It is very pessimistic. The mere presence of all those weapons is enough to ensure that sometime, somewhere, someone is going to set one off.

Schell makes sure all of us know the horrendous possibilities of a nuclear exchange and all the reasons for bringing such possibilities to a halt.

Everyone agrees. The question is, how do we get these monsters under control?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

Examines the biological, political, social, and moral consequences of nuclear warfare and asks how such a holocaust might be prevented.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible