Love Invents Us (1998)

by Amy Bloom

This stunning novel by National Book Award finalist Amy Bloom, author of Come to Me, follows the passions of Elizabeth Taube from childhood to middle age, as she finds herself through love--good, bad, and dangerous. 224 pp. Author tour. National print ads. 40,000 print.

This just wasn't my cup of tea. Though well-written and thoughtful, I found the plot rambling and unconvincing at times. ( )
  aseikonia | Sep 2, 2012 |
Pretty raunchy and unsatisfying ending. ( )
  HeidiDenney | Feb 7, 2012 |
This is another example of a reasonably talented writer who blows it in terms of style and character motivation. Bloom’s novel is about the life of a woman and the men who love her throughout it. And while the story seems to flow effortlessly at many points, at others – especially when describing sex – the language becomes self-conscious and overly flowery, trying a bit too hard to be stylistic.

I would tolerate that if I found the characters a bit more likeable. But I could never get a handle on them. I didn’t believe that they really loved one another, not for so long, not over so many absences. I might have accepted that for the central couple, the high schools sweethearts in an interracial relationship, separated by an intolerant father. But I couldn’t believe it for the junior high school teacher who falls for his student and maintains that love for her until she becomes an adult and nurses him through his terminal illness, seemingly motivated by her own asexual love for him.

So that’s where the story fell apart for me. What were these people doing? When were they going to change? By the end, I didn’t particularly care. ( )
  sturlington | Oct 19, 2011 |
not very memorable ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Sep 8, 2006 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Has the adaptation

...there are many ways to be born and They all come forth, in their own grace. Muriel Rukeyser
...the great and incalculable grace of love, wch says, with Auguustine, "I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation. Hannah Arendt
For Alexander, Caitlin, and Sarah
I wasn't surprised to find myself in th back of Mr. Klein's soter, wearing only my undershirt and panties, surrounded my sable.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,591,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible