Bone Volume 2: The Great Cow Race by Jeff…

Bone Volume 2: The Great Cow Race (2005)

by Jeff Smith, Steve Hamaker (Illustrator)

Series: Bone (Trade 2: Issues #7-11)

Part Two of the Boneville Trio's stay in a strange land. Despite their new surroundings, the main characters stay true-to-form. One is a nice guy. One is a schemer. One is dim-witted. They are friends.
  edwardcandler | Feb 5, 2017 |
Ages 9 to 14
  WatervilleTownLib | Jul 9, 2016 |
This second scholastic edition of this series was just as good as the first volume. This edition maintains the child-like and simplistic nature that draws the reader into the series. The mystery also starts peeling away slightly as we begin to understand who the real players are and what may be happening, but it is still only slightly. This collection is great because it is really about a cow race. I don't want to give away plot points, but it shows strongly the character of Grandma Ben in my opinion and helps build her up as an important character of the entire series. I also like several of the interactions and dialogue here because it adds humerous repetitive jokes, but also helps to create layers to the characters. I again must applaud Smith for his work because he has created something truly unique in this series and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the Bone series. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
My blog post about this book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 10, 2015 |
The second volume in the graphic book collection of the Bone series, this continues the story immediately after the events in the first volume. The chapters have a heavy focus on the Cow Race, as the title indicates, and the heavier plot elements in the series become linked with this silly escapade. Phony Bone is still trying to rig the race by having Smiley Bone masquerade as the mystery cow, give Granma Ben a run for her money, and then let her win. One of the most hilarious sequences from this book was when Smiley revealed his rather ugly hand-made cow costume, and constantly mooed to show he was a real cow. Fone Bone realizes his cousin is up to something, but is unable to stop him; plus, he is trying to work through his love troubles, since Thorn would rather walk through the fair with a cute boy than him.

While Phoney manages to hook most of the Barrelhaven residents to bet on the mystery cow, Fone retreats to the woods to write a love letter to Thorn. And then things fall apart: Lucius, the owner of the tavern, bets everything he has on Rose (Granma Ben), completely disrupting Phoney's plans to skew the betting; Phoney tries to get in the costume with Smiley to help him win; and Fone is discovered by two rat creatures. As Fone dashes off to escape he accidentally falls in a pile of sleeping rat creatures, who wake up and chase him right into the cow race. Now there are cows, bones, rat creatures, and Granma Ben all running together. Granma still manages to win, and discover the true identity of the mystery cow, but she doesn't need to punish the underhanded bones - the town does it for her. Granma Ben, Thorn, and Lucius rescue Phoney from yet another raging mob that wants to destroy him, and they head back to Granma's demolished farm.

The story continues to entertain, and while we don't see the creepy hooded figure, several references are made to the ominous future that is awaiting our characters. I am really starting to care for these characters, who are funny and clever and so real. I didn't expect that the author would invest so much personality into simple white drawings. Even the rat creatures have endeared themselves to me, particularly the squabbling of the two most featured in the story. I love that one of them always wants quiche - hilarious. I have a strong feeling that the series is heading in an excellent direction, and I am excited to keep reading and find out. ( )
1 vote nmhale | Jan 14, 2015 |

Jeff Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hamaker, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Penttinen, JormaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The cornerstone of GRAPHIX, our new graphic novel imprint, BONE is the incredible comic book saga of an unlikely hero who must save an idyllic valley from the forces of evil.

In THE GREAT COW RACE, volume 2 of this 9-book epic, Fone Bone and his cousins plan to return home after visiting the village of Barrelhaven with Thorn and Gran'ma Ben. But Phoney risks everything on one last get-rich-quick scheme for the town's annual Great Cow Race. As usual, Phoney's plans go disastrously awry, and Boneville seems further away than ever. Meanwhile, ominous signs indicate that a war is brewing, and Fone finds himself helping his friends defend their valley from a formidable enemy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:05 -0400)

The adventure starts when cousins Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone are run out of Boneville and later get separated and lost in the wilderness, meeting monsters and making friends as they attempt to return home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,366,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible