dismiss

The Empire of the Steppes: A History of Central Asia

by René Grousset

.While the early history of the steppe nomad is shrouded in obscurity, The Empire of the Steppes brings both the general reader and the specialist the majestic sweep, grandeur and the overriding intellectual grasp of Grousset's original. Hailed as a masterpiece when first published in French in 1939, and in English in 1970, this great work of synthesis brings before us the people of the steppes, dominated by three mighty figures--Atilla, Genghiz Khan, and Tamberlain--as they marched through ten centuries of history, from the borders of China to the frontiers of the West. The book includes nineteen maps, a comprehensive index, notes, and bibliography. The late Rene Grousset was director of the Cernuschi Museum and curator of the Muse Guimet in Paris, a member of the French Academy and author of many works on Asia Minor and the Near East.  … (more)

I'm sure this was a great work in its day, but, reading the introduction, I found it (or at least the English translation) to be dated. For instance it said some of the tribes in the northern Russian steppe "remained savage." Certainly not a word current historians or anthropologists would use. Since I just want an overview, I'm going to look elsewhere.
  aulsmith | Mar 18, 2015 |
great, one of my favorite historys. ( )
  clydethehero | Mar 24, 2009 |

This masterful history by one of France’s most distinguished scholars piqued my youthful interest with its tales of wild tribes in remote places of Asia. I still keep The Empire of the Steppes on my shelf as a reference work and simply as an interesting read.
  DaveHardy | Dec 27, 2006 |

Laoshang Chanyu

Li Guangli

Rugila

Sanatruces of Parthia

Second Invasion of the Kazakh Khanate (1509)

Second Mongol invasion of Burma

Seljuk Empire

Seljuq dynasty

Vingt-cinq siècles d'histoire revisités par l'un des grands orientalistes français qui révèle le secret de l'évolution de l'Asie, la loi qui a présidé à la renaissance ou à la mort des Empires immémoriaux. Cette loi, c'est la lutte du nomade et du sédentaire, de l'homme de la steppe et de l'homme des cultures. Une immense leçon de géographie humaine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,281,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible