Joy of Cooking [1975] by Irma S. Rombauer

Joy of Cooking [1975] (1931)

by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Romabauer Becker

Series: Joy of Cooking (complete, 1975)

Recently added byexstasiss, private library, Leonardo747, geophile, kdbwarner, LizzieH, racergirl76, kitber, EmilyGrey

No wonder this book is a classic! Irma von Starkloff-Bombauer lived between 1877-1962. ( )
  faithfilly | Feb 1, 2016 |
I fell in love with this book as a young woman and still love it today. It has great information on just about anything you will want to bake or cook. It has pages of substitutions to help you out of a pinch if you realize you are out of something. It has a great index that helps you locate what you're interested in easily. I think every young woman that wants to cook or bake should have one! ( )
  Penny01966 | Jan 22, 2014 |
The new one is not as good. ( )
  paperloverevolution | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book was my mother's gift to me when I got married. It has gotten me through over 30 years of trying to cook, answering questions about how to defrost a frozen turkey to what can be substituted when you don't have the correct spice, etc.

The cover I chose is not that of my edition (1980) but the cover I remember from my childhood, of my mother's copy. I wish I had it. ( )
  fuzzi | Aug 13, 2011 |
Excellent source of information on most anything.
  Willowdancer | Sep 15, 2010 |

Irma S. Rombauerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Becker, Marion Romabauermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, Ethansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hofmann, GinnieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matsumoto, IkkiIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
That which thy fathers have bequeathed to thee, earn it anew if thou wouldst possess it. - Goethe: Faust
To friends of the JOY who over the years through their countless letters and words of appreciation have made us feel that our efforts are worthwhile.
We present you first with the front-door key to this book.
This is the 1975 edition. Joy of Cooking was extensively revised around 1997 and contains significantly different material.

All-purpose cookbook includes a complete range of recipes in every category every day. Joy is the one indispensable cookbook, a boon to the beginner, treasure for the experienced cook. Other basic cookbooks prior to this gave all their recipes cute names so it was a no fun treasure hunt to find what you needed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0026045702, Hardcover)

Since its first private printing in 1931, The Joy of Cooking has been teaching Americans how to cook. Craig Claiborne calls it "a masterpiece of clarity" and Julia Child says it's the one book she'd keep if she could only have one English title on the shelf. The nearly 5,000 recipes are handily organized by meal and ingredient, and no cooking instruction goes unexplained, so you can finally understand the difference between poaching and braising. The book includes nutritional information as well as an extremely helpful list of measures and equivalents. You'll find a version of every recipe your mother ever cooked, along with straightforward instructions for cooking more exotic specialties such as turtles and muskrats.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:27 -0400)

Detailed information on foods and cooking techniques accompany fundamental recipes for hors d'oeuvres, soups, salads, main dishes, side dishes, breads, pies, cookies, candies, and desserts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,329,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible