Castaways by Brian Keene

Castaways

by Brian Keene

Castaways, by Brian Keene (Unabridged) They came to the lush, deserted island to compete on a popular reality TV show. Each one hoped to be the last to leave. Now they're just hoping to stay alive. It seems the island isn't deserted after all. Contestants and crew members are disappearing, but they aren't being eliminated by the game. They're being taken by the monstrous halfhuman creatures that live in the jungle. The men will be slaughtered. The women will be kept alive as captives. Night is falling, the creatures are coming, and rescue is so far away.... I.S.B.N.: 9871897304709 Genre: Horror Read by: Maynard McKillen Length: 8 Hours… (more)

English (23)  German (1)  All languages (24)
Great book. One of my best from Keene. It has a take on Laymon's style of creatures and others I wont mention but not too drastic and only ever appears in a short piece i the book. You will know what I am talking about if you have read Laymon's books. ( )
  Fawaaz.Manuel | Sep 26, 2019 |
Lots of gore. Lots of death. Shallow characters, but an entertaining read. I chose the audio version of this book and rather enjoyed it. I didn't really care for any of the characters but that didn't stop me from wanting to listen. So, not amazing but, not bad. It was a quick read. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Sep 3, 2017 |
A fun horror read that, though a bit dated with the premise now, is wickedly brutal, unnerving, and entertaining. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |
I was extremely hesitant to read this book due in part to the reality show element of the story. I hate reality shows and everything about them. It was a reasonable enough plot device to to join with the cryptid element and craft a story from though, so I forgive Keene. This wasn't his best work in my opinion, though it certainly held my interest and was by no means a "bad" read. I admit I was hoping for more blood and gore. It felt lacking in that area, at least compared to say, Urban Gothic. I read Keene because I know I will be diving into something horrific and frightening. So many works are labeled as horror, and feel like anything but to me. So in that sense, I was again slightly disappointed in this work. The pacing was adequate and there was a fair amount of action. I really enjoyed Troy's character as well. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
From the start, this book is very much an homage to Richard Laymon. The style, plot, and actions all follow what you would find in a Laymon novel. Keene uses the Afterword to explain some of the history behind the idea moving from short story to novel; you can read those details yourself in the book. I will state that as a fan of both Laymon and Keene, I loved the book!

The story follows a reality show cast as they proceed through their daily challenges. Not realizing of course that their challenges are about to get more serious and involve a lot more reality. The show, naturally called Castaways, is a close copy of Survivor where contestants are put on a deserted island and then vote someone off every couple of days. The problem ends up being that the island is not that deserted. A tribe of devolved, more-animal-than-human creatures are already on the island and they view the contestants as food or procreation hosts.

The action all took place in a 24-hour period which helped me to speed through the reading of the book. Things kept happening and I didn't want to put the book down. Maybe some of the minor characters weren't flushed out as much as they could be but they matched the same stereotypes that you would see in a typical reality show. In fact, one of the characters in the book even points that out and compares each character to their stereotype. You can't really get too much more specific about how the characters are supposed to act than that. A very fun read and one that should not be missed by horror fans. ( )
  dagon12 | Apr 7, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to the memories of Richard Laymon, Dan "UK" Thomas, and Bruce "Boo" Smith. We miss you guys...
Becka knew she was going to drown.

They came to the lush, deserted island to compete on a popular reality TV show. Each one hoped to be the last to leave. Now they're just hoping to stay alive. It seems the island isn't deserted after all. Contestants and crew members are disappearing, but they aren't being eliminated by the game. They're being taken by the monstrous half-human creatures that live in the jungle. The men will be slaughtered. The women will be kept alive as captives. Night is falling, the creatures are coming, and rescue is so far away.

Brian Keene is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,758,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible