Bridget Jones's Diary (1996)

by Helen Fielding

Series: Bridget Jones (1)

Bridget Jones takes readers on a tour of a hilarious year-in-the-life of a confused thirty-something singleton who would have all the answers if she could just lose seven pounds, stop smoking, and attain inner poise.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Austenland by Shannon Hale (elbakerone)
    Campaign Ruby by Jessica Rudd (Anonymous user)
    Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid (nicole_a_davis)
    Fathomless Riches: Or How I Went From Pop to Pulpit by Richard Coles (charl08)
    charl08: Richard Coles is (possibly) the basis for Bridget's friend, the one-hit wonder. Both the novel and biography are laugh out loud funny.
    Lucy Talk by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    Slightly Single by Wendy Markham (lemonfluffable)
    Sushi & Chardonnay by Yoyo van Gemerde (Talvi)

English (231)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (244)
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 25, 2022 |
Well, I think Bridget Jones might win out over Emma Bovary for Most Repulsive Female Lead in this year's reading. I fail to find anything at all charming about her, (though her prodigious alcohol consumption did make me feel smug about my own, so that was one positive feeling). How could Mark Darcy love someone so shallow and grotesque? I was not rooting for their relationship at all.

Two redeeming parts of the book:
- introducing me to the word "autowitter"
- the spot-on rant about the stress of enjoying life, starting on page 128. "The more the sun shines the more obvious it seems that others are making fuller, better use of it elsewhere..." And; "Diners are managing to sit calmly at [tables on pavements], only occasionally remembering the sun and turning their faces to it with closed eyes, breaking into huge excited grins at passersby--'Look, look, we're enjoying a refreshing drink in a pavement cafe, we can do it too'-- their expressions of angst merely brief and fleeting which say, "Ought we to be at an outdoor performace of A Midsummer Night's Dream?'"

TRUE. That is my life, in a page. ( )
  AlainaZ | Jun 5, 2022 |
I didn't read this, or watch the movies, when it came out. It didn't appeal then and I'm not sure it really appeals now. In 1996, when it came out, I was mid 20s but had a lot more of my life sorted than Bridget does. I've never really obsessed about dieting or weight - I've always been built for comfort, not speed - and it's never really bothered me.
Listening to this now, it has not necessarily aged well. The cultural references and the apparent lack of mobile phones make it seem a period piece. Bridget herself amused me, but she annoyed me a lot more. I'm not going to be going back for more. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 4, 2022 |
I don't remember being this needy and neurotic and pathetic and self-absorbed at 26. But then I didn't have a bat-shit crazy mother, either, so maybe that's why. She is so totally clueless she doesn't even know when Darcy is in love with her and still thinks her cheating boss will leave his wife and go off with her. I grew tired of her really quickly. Unlike Pride and Prejudice which this is a takeoff on, this Darcy could have done a hell of a lot better. ( )
  stbyra | Aug 29, 2021 |
O.K., James Joyce it may not be, but show me the woman to whom this sort of stream-of-consciousness, self-assessing mental clutter is unfamiliar and I'll show you the person who will not think ''Bridget Jones's Diary'' is both completely hilarious and spot on.

Fielding, Helenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McPherson, TaraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To my mum, Nellie, for not being like Bridget's
I WILL NOT

Drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week.
It struck me as pretty ridiculous to be called Mr. Darcy and to stand on your own looking snooty at a party. It's like being called Heathcliff and insisting on spending the entire evening in the garden, shouting "Cathy" and banging your head against a tree.
I will not fall for any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, commitment phobics, people with girlfriends or wives, misogynists, megalomanics, chauvists, emotional fuckwits or freeloaders, perverts.
When someone leaves you, apart from missing them, apart from the fact that the whole little world you've created together collapses, and that everything you see or do reminds you of them, the worst is the thought that they tried you out and, in the end, the whole sum of parts adds up to you got stamped REJECT by the one you love. How can you not be left with the personal confidence of a passed over British Rail sandwich?
I like you very much. Just as you are.
It seems wrong and unfair that Christmas, with its stressful and unmanageable financial and emotional challenges, should first be forced upon one wholly against one's will, then rudely snatched away just when one is starting to get into it. Was really beginning to enjoy the feeling that normal service was suspended and it was OK to lie in bed as long as you want, put anything you fancy into your mouth, and drink alcohol whenever it should chance to pass your way, even in the mornings. Now suddenly we are all supposed to snap into self-discipline like lean teenage greyhounds.

Meet Bridget Jones—a 30-something Singleton who is certain she would have all the answers if she could:
a. lose 7 pounds
b. stop smoking
c. develop Inner Poise

"123 lbs. (how is it possible to put on 4 pounds in the middle of the night? Could flesh have somehow solidified becoming denser and heavier? Repulsive, horrifying notion), alcohol units 4 (excellent), cigarettes 21 (poor but will give up totally tomorrow), number of correct lottery numbers 2 (better, but nevertheless useless)..."

Bridget Jones' Diary is the devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud daily chronicle of Bridget's permanent, doomed quest for self-improvement — a year in which she resolves to: reduce the circumference of each thigh by 1.5 inches, visit the gym three times a week not just to buy a sandwich, form a functional relationship with a responsible adult, and learn to program the VCR.

Over the course of the year, Bridget loses a total of 72 pounds but gains a total of 74. She remains, however, optimistic. Through it all, Bridget will have you helpless with laughter, and — like millions of readers the world round — you'll find yourself shouting, "Bridget Jones is me!"

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,573,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible