Bridget Jones's Diary (1996)

by Helen Fielding

Series: Bridget Jones (1)

Bridget Jones takes readers on a tour of a hilarious year-in-the-life of a confused thirty-something singleton who would have all the answers if she could just lose seven pounds, stop smoking, and attain inner poise.
Recently added byejmw, Rennie80, private library, NataliaMC, MMBlibrarian, claytonhowl, kat51987, kirkspocks
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Austenland by Shannon Hale (elbakerone)
    Campaign Ruby by Jessica Rudd (Anonymous user)
    Fathomless Riches: Or How I Went From Pop to Pulpit by Richard Coles (charl08)
    charl08: Richard Coles is (possibly) the basis for Bridget's friend, the one-hit wonder. Both the novel and biography are laugh out loud funny.
    Slightly Single by Wendy Markham (lemonfluffable)
    Lucy Talk by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    Sushi & Chardonnay by Yoyo van Gemerde (Talvi)

English (226)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (240)

I had of course read this years ago when it first came out. It's still pretty funny, even though some parts of it have dated - nobody has a mobile phone, for instance, and nobody is on social media which did not exist in the prehistoric days of (checks) 1996. There are some hilarious moments and good bits of human observation. It's an entertaining book, but not a deep one; you basically know from the encounter with Mark Darcy on the very first day how this is going to end up, and that the storyline with Daniel is going to turn out badly. A good quick read. ( )
  nwhyte | Jul 22, 2021 |
not as good as the movie leads you to beleive but definitely worth the read. ( )
  amoderndaybelle | May 27, 2021 |
I re-read this for a little lighthearted break after having read an emotionally harder book. I read it first around the time it was first released, and it struck me that times have changed even in that short expanse of time, as some of the attitudes in the book are already ones we have moved on from. It was still fun to revisit Bridget et al, and it was the light relief I was seeking. ( )
  Vividrogers | Jan 11, 2021 |
Review dated 05/21/14. Book read 02/03/08.

I've been going back and commenting on books I've rated but did not actually review at the time. Prior to Goodreads, my books were on spreadsheets and I did give them a rating but usually didn't say much about what I thought.

This is my problem with this book. At the time I read it, I gave this book 2 stars. But why? I remember nothing of this book. Absolutely nothing. Nada. Zip. I actually forgot I had even read it.

So - I guess the 2 stars stands for - it was all right, but a forgettable read. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Maybe it is just that I was expecting too much, but there's not much story here - Bridget obsesses about her single-ness and the biggest plot line is her parents' failing marriage. There is hardly anything at all about the notorious Mark Darcy - very little interaction at all. Also, because there are a fair number of cultural references, the book feels a bit dated. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 19, 2020 |
O.K., James Joyce it may not be, but show me the woman to whom this sort of stream-of-consciousness, self-assessing mental clutter is unfamiliar and I'll show you the person who will not think ''Bridget Jones's Diary'' is both completely hilarious and spot on.

Fielding, Helenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McPherson, TaraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To my mum, Nellie, for not being like Bridget's
I WILL NOT

Drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week.
It struck me as pretty ridiculous to be called Mr. Darcy and to stand on your own looking snooty at a party. It's like being called Heathcliff and insisting on spending the entire evening in the garden, shouting "Cathy" and banging your head against a tree.
I will not fall for any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, commitment phobics, people with girlfriends or wives, misogynists, megalomanics, chauvists, emotional fuckwits or freeloaders, perverts.
When someone leaves you, apart from missing them, apart from the fact that the whole little world you've created together collapses, and that everything you see or do reminds you of them, the worst is the thought that they tried you out and, in the end, the whole sum of parts adds up to you got stamped REJECT by the one you love. How can you not be left with the personal confidence of a passed over British Rail sandwich?
I like you very much. Just as you are.
It seems wrong and unfair that Christmas, with its stressful and unmanageable financial and emotional challenges, should first be forced upon one wholly against one's will, then rudely snatched away just when one is starting to get into it. Was really beginning to enjoy the feeling that normal service was suspended and it was OK to lie in bed as long as you want, put anything you fancy into your mouth, and drink alcohol whenever it should chance to pass your way, even in the mornings. Now suddenly we are all supposed to snap into self-discipline like lean teenage greyhounds.

Meet Bridget Jones—a 30-something Singleton who is certain she would have all the answers if she could:
a. lose 7 pounds
b. stop smoking
c. develop Inner Poise

"123 lbs. (how is it possible to put on 4 pounds in the middle of the night? Could flesh have somehow solidified becoming denser and heavier? Repulsive, horrifying notion), alcohol units 4 (excellent), cigarettes 21 (poor but will give up totally tomorrow), number of correct lottery numbers 2 (better, but nevertheless useless)..."

Bridget Jones' Diary is the devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud daily chronicle of Bridget's permanent, doomed quest for self-improvement — a year in which she resolves to: reduce the circumference of each thigh by 1.5 inches, visit the gym three times a week not just to buy a sandwich, form a functional relationship with a responsible adult, and learn to program the VCR.

Over the course of the year, Bridget loses a total of 72 pounds but gains a total of 74. She remains, however, optimistic. Through it all, Bridget will have you helpless with laughter, and — like millions of readers the world round — you'll find yourself shouting, "Bridget Jones is me!"

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,639,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible