Absurdistan by Gary Shteyngart

Absurdistan

by Gary Shteyngart

After returning to Russia to attend his father's funeral, 30-year-old Misha is subsequently denied a visa when he attempts to re-enter the United States. What follows is a series of misadventures through the Eastern Bloc in which Misha runs afoul of crooked politicians, businessmen, and bureaucracies all seemingly determined to keep him from his new home country.… (more)

English (72)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (74)
2.5 stars. Shteygart's strong writing was really the only thing that kept me reading. I enjoyed his other two novels much more than this one. ( )
  AaronJacobs | Oct 23, 2018 |
This author is hilarious, but he's so busy being funny that the narrative of the story suffers. I could only read it in small doses or my mind stayed to drift. His talent is undeniable. I should try his debut. .. The Russian Debutante's Handbook. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Wow. Funny? In a sad kind of way. Good? Mmmmm, not really. I enjoy existentialism, the asking about the why life turns out the way it does, but this character has no "Why?" in his vocabulary. He never asks "why me?" or "how can I just change the insanity of my life?," he simply goes on, allowing people to take advantage of his good nature, his money, and his beloved khui till perhaps the very end. That was the moment in the last two pages that he maybe, just maybe, gets a handle on holding his life together. Otherwise, it is more about an absurdly fat man who lives an absurdly wasteful life. Worth reading as it's well-written, but not one of my favorites." ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
I know plenty of upright citizens who would say this is the stupidest book they ever tried to read. However, if you have a dark, cynical, political sense of humor (which those same people would call twisted or sick), then you will probably think this book is as hilarious as I did.

Misha Vainburg is just trying to find a way back into America and the arms of his Bronx sweetheart, Rouenna. When the grossly rich, grossly obese (and all around gross) expat Jew travels to Absurdvani to buy a Belgian passport (of dubioius legality), he finds himself caught in a bloody revolution (of dubious political and social significance).
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Funny, but way too much graphic sex...if Shteyngart had kept SOME of the graphic stuff out it would have been a GREAT book. As it is, I can at least say it gave me a lot of LOLs!
~Stephanie ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Like a victorious wrestler, this novel is so immodestly vigorous, so burstingly sure of its barbaric excellence, that simply by breathing, sweating and standing upright it exalts itself.

In the end Misha gives new meaning to that archetype of Russian literature — the "superfluous man" — while Mr. Shteyngart's novel manages to seem equally beside the point.

Gary Shteyngartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, ArteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is a book about love.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible