Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo

Sworn to Silence

by Linda Castillo

Series: Kate Burkholder (1)

Recently added byRosaneC, rena75, private library, MilledgevillePublic

English (276)  Dutch (6)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (286)
Although I have read other books from the Kate Burkholder series, it was good to read the first volume. Kate is a young police chief. She's good with her staff, but the council and the sheriff's office think she's an inexperienced person. In this book, Kate is dealing with a brutal serial killer who brutally tortures and abuses his victims before he kills them. The only pattern that permeates is that he numbers the victims with Roman numerals.
Kate thinks she's chasing a ghost out of her past. Someone who once raped her in her teenage years but she thought he was dead. Therefore, she also does not request reinforcements from other authorities, which temporarily costs her suspension. Kate would not be Kate, if she continues to investigate and thereby brings the greatest danger to her own life.
Great and fast, it grabbed me from the first page and I could barely stop reading. ( )
  Ameise1 | Feb 16, 2019 |
There are so many attractive things about this book: the strong main character, the interaction of the “English” and Amish community, the emotional toll of police work, secrets leading to self doubt. It would really be a perfect mystery if it weren’t for the unnecessarily explicit depiction of the torture of women. There is no excuse for this kind of misogynistic titillation. It’s sad that a woman would write some of these details. I would love to read more of the series just to follow this great woman character, but I won’t subject myself to any more sadism. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Feb 11, 2019 |
This is the first book in the Kate Burkholder Series but not the first I read. I am glad I went back to the beginning because there is a lot of background in this book relating to the two main characters, Kate and John Tomasetti.

Kate was a police detective in Columbus, but returned to her hometown of Painters Mill, s when she was offered the position of Police Chief. She was raised Amish, and this helps with the Amish population when there is a situation that necessitates police intervention. Even though she was banished from the Amish Community when she left the faith, she can speak Pennsylvania Dutch as well as being aware of their customs.

When a mutilated body of a young woman is found in a field, the town is reminded of a string of murders from 16 years earlier. The "slaughterhouse killer" was never caught and there is fear that he has returned. Kate is sure that it can't be the same killer, and a secret is revealed in this book that explains her reasoning as well as one of the reasons she left the Amish life. When two more victims are found, the Sheriff's department as well as the BCI are called in for support. Will they find the killer before there are more deaths?

I enjoyed the suspense in this book. I did not know who the killer was until shortly before the big reveal. There was a lot of violence in this book and the descriptions might offend some people, but the intrigue, mystery, descriptions of the Amish life and the characters more than made up for that. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a murder mystery/thriller combination. I am definitely going to continue reading this series. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Kate Burkeholder In the sleepy rural town of Painters Mill, Ohio, the Amish and “English” residents have lived side by side for two centuries. But sixteen years ago, a series of brutal murders shattered the peaceful farming community. In the aftermath of the violence, the town was left with a sense of fragility, a loss of innocence. Kate Burkholder, a young Amish girl, survived the terror of the Slaughterhouse Killer but came away from its brutality with the realization that she no longer belonged with the Amish.

Now, a wealth of experience later, Kate has been asked to return to Painters Mill as Chief of Police. Her Amish roots and big city law enforcement background make her the perfect candidate. She’s certain she’s come to terms with her past—until the first body is discovered in a snowy field. Kate vows to stop the killer before he strikes again.
  krharder | Jan 22, 2019 |
A serial killer murders women in a gruesome manner leaving Roman numerals carved upon their chests. Kate Burkholder, chief of police for Painter's Mill, fails to call for outside help at first, reminded of something that happened sixteen years ago during her life as an Amish teenager. When city officials ask for help from Columbus, they send a detective with a prescription drug problem to aid the investigation. When the second victim's body is discovered, Kate asks for assistance from the local sheriff's office. The charismatic sheriff knows how to play the press. The book combines the police procedural with the thriller. The book lacks the calmness other Amish Country crime novels, probably as much due to the nature of the crime as anything. While I prefer P. L. Gaus' Amish mysteries at the moment, I want to continue reading this one to see how Kate develops. I previously read a Christmas installment from later in the series which had a cozier feel than this first installment. Castillo's first effort held the reader's attention. My biggest complaint centers on a rushed romantic relationship, which feels especially rushed in light of what happened to Burkholder as a teen. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 20, 2019 |

Linda Castilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coleman, BillCover landscape photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
istockphoto.com/becc…Cover Amish buggy photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McInerney, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Forwith the devil did appear, For name him and he's always near. ~Matthew Prior, "Hans Carvel"
I'm one of those writers lucky enough to have a strong support system that sustains me in the long and sometimes difficult months it takes to write a novel. This book is dedicated to my husband, Ernest, who just happens to be my real-life hero. And to Jack and Debbie for that wonderful trip to Amish country. I love you guys.
She hadn't believed in monsters since she was six years old, back when her mom would check the closet and look beneath her bed at night.

Kate Burkholder, a former Amish resident of Painters Mill, is returning as police chief sixteen years after a series of brutal murders took place there, but when a new victim is found under her watch, she struggles with a secret that could hurt both her and her family.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Linda Castillo's book Sworn to Silence was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,547,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible