The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

The Warrior Heir (2006)

by Cinda Williams Chima

Series: The Heir Chronicles (1)

Update: This was even better the second time around. I didn't find it slow at all.

This was a pretty good YA story. It wasn't complicated and it was an easy read. The first half of the story was a little slow going, but things really picked up during the second half. I thought Jack was a likable character. He was thrown into his situation unaware of his magical abilities, but he did a great job handling it. He showed signs of maturity without becoming a brat, which was refreshing. I'm looking forward to the next book.

mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
It was ok. I gave it two stars for wasted potential. Had so much, but all of the moving parts of the guilds and the Game became too unwieldy for the story. ( )
  its_aduck | Jun 6, 2018 |
Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before. And it feels great - until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.

Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself: he is Weirlind, part of an underground society of magical people who live among us. At their helm sits the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game - a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death. The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he's not just another member of Weirlind - he's one of the last of the warriors - at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.
  JESGalway | May 28, 2018 |
I read this series awhile back but I want to review every book I have here on goodreads do I skimmed through it a little. From what I remember, I really enjoyed this book. However, I don't think I loved it as much as the next two books in the triology. I wouldn't recommend it for too young of readers because I was kinda confused to a certain extent. Despite this, I felt it was a good book to a good book series! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
I picked this one up quite a while ago and simply because I absolutely adore Chima's Seven Realms series.

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed it, but it definitely was very difficult to get into and it dragged at multiple points. The very beginning and ending sections were my favorites because of the action and danger.

The characters were more on the bland side (with Jack edging into annoying teenage boy territory) though not terrible by any means. I wish we could have seen more into Ellen's character. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Cinda Williams Chimaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramirez, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Carol Bryan Williams, who told stories
The scent of wood smoke and roses always took him back there, to the boy he was and would never be again.

Young adult fiction meets the fantasy world in this thought provoking new novel. Sixteen-year-old Jack Swift thinks he has a heart condition that warrants him swallowing a spoonful of blue medicine every morning, until one day he forgets, and his world is turned upside down. Soon Jack finds out from his quirky aunt that he is not really sick at all, but special. He is one of the last remaining Warriors in an ancient underground society known as the Weirlind. Amidst the everyday struggle of high school, girls, soccer practice, and just plain teenage life, Jack must train for the ultimate fight between the ever-feuding houses of the Red and White Roses—a fight to the death. In this novel Cinda Williams Chima brings to life the clash of magic and the ordinary in an intricate web of literary genius that most authors would need an entire series to create.

Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity.  Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high-schoolers.  Then one day Jack skips his medicine.  Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before.  And it feels great—until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.

Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself:  He is Weirlind; part of an underground society of magical people who live among us.  At the head of this magical society sit the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game—a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death.  The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre magical heritage isn’t enough, Jack finds out that he’s not just another member of Weirlind—he’s one of the last of the warriors—at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:16 -0400)

After learning about his magical ancestry and his own warrior powers, sixteen-year-old Jack embarks on a training program to fight enemy wizards.

Cinda Williams Chima is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,619,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible