Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Slightly Sinful by Mary Balogh

Slightly Sinful (2014)

by Mary Balogh

Lord Alleyne spends most of this book as Jonathan and Rachel York is his guide through the maze of not knowing who he is. Alleyne's personality and skill comes out in unexpected ways, and I loved the collection of "misfits" that make up a kind of family of friends who love Rachel and care for Alleyne when he is unable to care for himself. There's a "madcap" scheme to bring a conman to justice, which is fun. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 30, 2017 |
In [b:Slightly Tempted|110303|Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)|Mary Balogh|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1333578474s/110303.jpg|106303], the aristocratic Bedwyn family is rocked by news of Lord Alleyne Bedwyn's death at Waterloo. While searching the battle's casualties for saleables, Rachel York (a well-born woman left penniless by her father's gambling&drinking) comes across Alleyne's body, already stripped by other scavengers. But he is not dead, just gravely injured. Rachel carts his limp body back to the brothel where her old nurse works, and she and the whores nurse him back to health. But Alleyne, alas, has lost his memory completely, and is afraid that even if he were to meet his own family he wouldn't feel anything for them anymore. Rachel and the whores, meanwhile, gave all their money to a clergyman who proved to be a conman, and are torn between getting back to business and getting revenge on him. Alleyne comes up with a plan to both postpone his own search for his identity and solve the women's money problems: he and Rachel will pose as man&wife to finagle Rachel's uncle into giving them her late mother's jewels. The whores pose as gentlewomen and servants in order to accompany them, and they all set off for England.

But when they reach Rachel's uncle's estate, their hare-brained scheme turns even more complicated. Rachel's uncle is very ill, and he asks that Rachel and her companions stay with him for a month. While the whores and Sergeant Strickland get the uncle's estate into order, Rachel and "Jonathan Smith" have to maintain their masquerade as husband&wife. A masquerade that is all too easy to perform in public--and all too tempting in private.

The first few chapters are a fun intro to Rachel and the whores, who have a lot of personality to start with and then fade into the background for much of the novel. The last few chapters are a triumphant confrontation with the conman/clergyman (in which the whores shine like crazy vindictive diamonds) and FINALLY the reunion of the Bedwyn siblings. The reunion was all I could have hoped, particularly in regard to my favorite two Bedwyns, Freyja and Wulf. But most of the novel is just basic Balogh fare: a few hurtful misunderstandings heightened by lack of communication between the love interests, the standard sex scenes, several realizations of how important family members have been in the past, and of course, a waltz at the ball. I wish Rachel and Jonathan/Alleyne had more personality, because even though I just finished the book a few hours ago I've already half-forgotten them. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
"Lord Alleyne Bedwyn was thrown from his horse and left for dead—only to awaken in the bedchamber of a ladies' brothel. Suddenly the dark, handsome diplomat has no memory of who he is or how he got there." A memorable beginning as I couldn't imagine how he would get back to his family (of course he was going to go back to his family, I just couldn't make out how because as the story moved along, he seemed to be kept away from them longer and longer by circumstance).

The Bedwyn Series is my favorite Balogh series!!!
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Alleyn's story is every bit as good as those that preceded it. I especially liked being in Brussels during the Battle of Waterloo.

The secondary characters are unusually outstanding. I would enjoy a sequel wrapping up their stories. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
What a surprise, I really enjoyed this installment of the Bedwyns saga. The previous book was such a let down I've had this one languishing on my "to be read" list forever! This is Alleyne's story. After the battle of Waterloo, Alleyne Bewcastle, believed dead by his family, has amnesia and is found by Rachel York who is living in a brothel in Brussels - long story, she is not a prostitute. She comes from a noble background but is down on her luck. She nurses him back to health and they pose as a married couple, returning to England so she can claim her inheritance. Once again, another Balogh false marriage/engagement scenario where the couple falls in love while pretending to be in love. Despite the usual Balogh formula, I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would, and the ending was worth it all. Now onto Wulf's story - finally! ( )
  ktleyed | Aug 15, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440236606, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet the Bedwyns—six brothers and sisters—men and women of passion and privilege, daring and sensuality....Enter their dazzling world of high society and breathtaking seduction...where each will seek love, fight temptation, and court scandal...and where Alleyne Bedwyn, the passionate middle son, is cut off from his past—only to find his future with a sinfully beautiful woman he will risk everything to love.

As the fires of war raged around him, Lord Alleyne Bedwyn was thrown from his horse and left for dead—only to awaken in the bedchamber of a ladies' brothel. Suddenly the dark, handsome diplomat has no memory of who he is or how he got there—yet of one thing he is certain: The angel who nurses him back to health is the woman he vows to make his own. But like him, Rachel York is not who she seems. A lovely young woman caught up in a desperate circumstance, she must devise a scheme to regain her stolen fortune. The dashing soldier she rescued from near-death could be her savior in disguise. There is just one condition: she must pose as his wife—a masquerade that will embroil them in a sinful scandal, where a man and a woman court impropriety with each daring step...with every taboo kiss that can turn passionate strangers into the truest of lovers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Injured on the battlefield, Lord Alleyne Bedwyn awakens in a ladies' brothel, with no memory of who he is, in the care of the lovely Rachel York, a young woman trapped in desperate circumstances who decides to use the dashing soldier she rescued to try to reclaim her stolen fortune.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible