Going Bovine

by Libba Bray

Cameron Smith, a disaffected sixteen year-old who, after being diagnosed with Creutzfeld Jakob's (aka mad cow) disease, sets off on a road trip with a death-obsessed video gaming dwarf he meets in the hospital in an attempt to find a cure.
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (kiwiflowa)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Improbable road trips while dealing with the End of Everything.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another weird road trip across America packed with mythical deities.
    Deadline by Chris Crutcher (foggidawn)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: It is an incredible journey just like this one...
    Schrödinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are hilarious books filled with wacky, nerdy randomness, both involve (at least in part) quantum physics, and both have a surprisingly sweet and touching emotional core hidden under the zaniness.
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (kaledrina)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (themulhern)
    themulhern: Teenagers tackle philosophical questions in (sur)real life.
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Zane's Trace by Allan Wolf (kaledrina)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Thin lines separate worlds. Frequently they cross. Which world is real?
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.

What do you get when you combine a dwarf, an average teenaged boy, a road trip, a garden gnome and about a million other crazy characters? You get this amazing book by Libba Bray. I've read two of her books now and feel the need to get my hands on many many more. She writes characters that manage to make you laugh and cry in the span of a chapter, sometimes within a paragraph. She's quickly working her way to becoming one of my new favorite authors. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
A funny, quick read. Had Libba Bray not gone for the easy ending, she might have scored another star. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
I’ve been interested in CJD and other prion diseases ever since I saw a documentary in which afflicted patients were described as having “visions of flames.” Perhaps that’s why I enjoyed the first parts of this book more than the latter portions. Of course, there isn’t any way that the book could continue to be narrated in Cameron’s voice while staying with that thread, and thus “Going Bovine” sets off on a jaunt through a strange and surreal journey.

Honestly, I would be interested in reading this book from a different perspective, seeing what it is like to have a child or sibling diagnosed with CJD. But I can see how that would be a hard sell. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this book--the character's voice was true, the story fun and scary and wild. Not the ending I would have written or chosen, but it was not totally unsatisfying. Great YA although some material that might be a bit too mature for pre-teen readers. ( )
  sdramsey | Dec 14, 2020 |
Hm. I liked the writing style, and there were some characters I really LOVED in here. Junior Webster, Eubie, and Balder topped my favorites list. Plus there are some great, laugh out loud funny moments. But. My major issues with it didn't crop up until the end, and discussing them would be spoilery. So I won't.

Things I didn't love:

The slightly schizoid writing style, which, yes, makes sense for the story and the character. It's just not a style I really enjoy, so. There's that.

The plotline from pages 196-233. Yes, that's specific. It also really bugs.

The end.

To sum up! If you have the time, it's not a bad read. But I'm not going to tell you to run out and pick it up.

bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
Libba Bray not only breaks the mold of the ubiquitous dying-teenager genre — she smashes it and grinds the tiny pieces into the sidewalk. For the record, I’d go anywhere she wanted to take me.

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davies, ErikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Take my advice and live for a long long time, because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die. - Cervantes, Don Quixote
Hope is the thing with feathers. - Emily Dickinson
It's a small world after all. - Walt Disney
For my parents with love. This one's also for Wendy. And, as always, for Barry and Josh.
The best day of my life happened when I was five and almost died at Disney World.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,853,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible