Going Bovine

by Libba Bray

Cameron Smith, a disaffected sixteen year-old who, after being diagnosed with Creutzfeld Jakob's (aka mad cow) disease, sets off on a road trip with a death-obsessed video gaming dwarf he meets in the hospital in an attempt to find a cure.
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (kiwiflowa)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Improbable road trips while dealing with the End of Everything.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another weird road trip across America packed with mythical deities.
    Deadline by Chris Crutcher (foggidawn)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: It is an incredible journey just like this one...
    Schrödinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are hilarious books filled with wacky, nerdy randomness, both involve (at least in part) quantum physics, and both have a surprisingly sweet and touching emotional core hidden under the zaniness.
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (kaledrina)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (themulhern)
    themulhern: Teenagers tackle philosophical questions in (sur)real life.
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Zane's Trace by Allan Wolf (kaledrina)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Thin lines separate worlds. Frequently they cross. Which world is real?
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.

The back cover predicted that this book will be a cult classic. If so, it deserves it, but I will not be among its following. I couldn't bring myself to like the protagonist, no idea why. ( )
  et.carole | Jan 21, 2022 |
This book is cotton candy on acid. ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
I have never been on a road trip, but I always really wanted to. It just hasn't really happened yet. This was a road trip I would have killed to go on, minus perhaps the whole dying of a rare and horrible brain eating disease thing.

This is the first Libba Bray book I have ever read. I think her others are like historical teen romance type of thing, which mostly I have zero interest in, but I think I will give a chance after reading this. She is hilarious. On paper, and in the interviews I have seen of her. I love her writing style and I love her characters.

The basic premise of this story is about a sixteen year old boy named Cameron who is a bit of a slacker, a bit of a stoner, and finds out one day that he is dying from the human form of mad cow disease. This makes him not really be able to trust his own mind and get checked into a hospital, basically to wait to die. Nothing about that really screams hilarity, but then Gonzo shows up. Gonzo is also a sixteen year old boy who goes to Cameron's school though they don't really know each other. Gonzo is also a dwarf, a mexican dwarf with a very overprotective and worry-wart of a mother. Which makes him think that every little thing in the world will kill him. Cameron has a vision of sorts and an angel named Dulcie appears to him. According to the punk rock, pink-haired, combat boot wearing, sugar obsessed angel, there is a way to cure Cameron. If he goes on a road trip with Gonzo following random signs like "follow the feather" and find a man named Dr. X he can save the universe from impending doom and cure his disease. She slaps a magical Disney World ticket on his wrist saying he has two weeks of symptom free (mostly) time to save the world and himself.

Cameron figures, its better than kicking the bucket in a hospital, and a chance is a chance. Needles to say, various hilarity ensues. We venture to New Orleans, meet a drag queen, the world's most famous Jazz musician, get stranded in the middle of nowhere, meet a Viking God trapped in the body of a yard gnome, get trapped in a hippie, smoothie loving happy cult, get on reality television, buy a car, lose said car, meet crazy scientists, hallucinate, talk to angels no one else can see, get best friends, lose virginity, meet a time traveling inuit band, be accused of terrorism, and go to Disney World. Among other things.

This is a quirky book, no doubt about it. But it is also surprisingly deep and a bit profound. It defiantly made me think about my life. It made me laugh out loud more than once, and it made me come pretty close to tearing up. I will most definitely have to go on a road trip now. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
A teenager contracts “mad cow” disease and imagines the life and adventures he will never get to live. e story deals with the big questions: life, death, nding meaning, relationships. is is extraordinary writing; beware rough language
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
Teen fiction. It's Libba Bray, again, but this teen adventure story is boy-friendly. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Libba Bray not only breaks the mold of the ubiquitous dying-teenager genre — she smashes it and grinds the tiny pieces into the sidewalk. For the record, I’d go anywhere she wanted to take me.

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davies, ErikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Take my advice and live for a long long time, because the maddest thing a man can do in this life is to let himself die. - Cervantes, Don Quixote
Hope is the thing with feathers. - Emily Dickinson
It's a small world after all. - Walt Disney
For my parents with love. This one's also for Wendy. And, as always, for Barry and Josh.
The best day of my life happened when I was five and almost died at Disney World.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,115,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible