An Abundance of Katherines (2006)

by John Green

Other authors: Daniel Bliss (Appendix)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    Paper Towns by John Green (Morteana)
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick (livia6)
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (368)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (383)
Colin Singleton's name is slightly ironic in that he always ends up single. Maybe that's because he always/only dates Katherines. Colin, a child prodigy, graduates high school and goes on a road trip with his best friend, Hassan, determined to prove his Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability and therefore find true love. As with all road trip stories, things go awry and Colin and Hassan end up in a small town and Colin ends up confronting the reasons his previous relationships failed.
I've read a few John Green books and this one was by far my favorite. I appreciated Colin's neuroticism and self-centeredness because it felt really honest for young adults. Everything is important and holds intense meaning and must be examined ad nauseum; I also happen to overanalyze a few things here and there so reading someone else doing the same keeps me in check. Plus, Green is a wizard with words and his characters always possess the wit I wish I had in the moment but only think about after the fact.
  aprilasfour | Jul 18, 2022 |
Enjoyed another John Green book! I love his characters. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Definitely not my favorite of his books. Finished it because that is what I do. ( )
  KyleneJones | Apr 25, 2022 |
Recommended to me to read by my 14 year old daughter, who thought it was great, except that it “had way too much kissing!”

It’s pretty funny, with a ton of footnotes that bring even more to the story. There’s also anagrams, The Theorem, and a “math-laden appendix”.

The book is about a boy named Colin who had dated 19 Katherines. After #19 dumps him, he and his buddy Hassan go on a road trip and end up in Gutshot, Tennessee to see the grave of Archduke Franz Ferdinand - and from there, their adventure, and the story, take off!

It’s funny and smart, and definitely a YA book! I didn’t understand the math, but that didn’t keep me from enjoying the story! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Apr 3, 2022 |
Smart, funny, quirky and lovable.
Awkward child prodigy turned awkward teen prodigy, Colin Singleton, has dated 19 girls named Katherine, and has been dumped by every one of them.
Now he and his funny, endearing, chubby pseudo-Muslim best friend, Hassan, are off on a road trip to help Colin get over the loss of Katherine XIX.
But when they get to Gutshot, Tennessee, they end up staying for the summer, and learning a lot from the tiny, redneck little town, which survives thanks to its one factory - which makes tampon strings.
This is the story of three exceptionally likable characters: Colin, Hassan, and Lindsey Lee Wells - the first person they meet in Gutshot, and the catalyst to the rest of the story. ( )
  fingerpost | Feb 8, 2022 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“But the pleasure isn’t owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you.” —Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically:
Treasure-sharing,
Heart-reassuring
Signature Sharer
Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
Colin had always preferred baths; one of his general policies in life was never to do anything standing up that could just as easily be done lying down.
—pg. 3
But mothers lie. It’s in the job description.
—pg. 4
Crying adds something: crying is you, plus tears. But the feeling Colin had was some horrible opposite of crying. It was you, minus something.
—pg. 7
Prodigies can very quickly learn what other people have already figured out; geniuses discover that which no one has ever previously discovered. Prodigies learn; geniuses do.
—pg. 10
“Hassan Harbish. Sunni Muslim. Not a terrorist.”
“Lindsey Lee Wells. Methodist. Me, neither.”
—pg. 32

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,834,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible