An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (2006)

by John Green

Other authors: Daniel Bliss (Appendix)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    Paper Towns by John Green (Morteana)
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (341)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (355)
An Abundance of Katherine by John Green.

This book is about a boy named Colin Singleton who had recently been dumped by a girl named Katherine, got dumbed nineteenth times by girls named Katherine, all his life he has dated girls with the name Katharine. He was devastated, and his friend Hassan and he decided to go on a road trip to, well they didn't really have a destination but there turned out to be one, eventually. This road trip involves many surprises ( )
  rena75 | Jun 25, 2019 |
This was assigned to me by my 16 year old niece in Berkley. I'm going down to visit her for the holidays and figured I'd better get on it.

I loved this book! The character Hassan in particular is hilarious. I laughed out loud more than once.

The basic gist, if you can't be bothered to read the blurb, is that Colin is a prodigy, if not a genius and a bit neurotic. He only ever dates Kathrines and only ever gets dumped by Katherines. After graduation when he gets dumped by K-19 and has a bit of a nervous breakdown his best buddy Hassan takes him on a road trip (from the city of Chicago) where they end up in Gutshot, TN. Hijinks as well as some soul searching and eye opening ensue.

It's only 200-ish pages, you could read it in a day. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
It's fine. But not great. Or even very good. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
An Abundance of Katherine by John Green.

| Mar 6, 2019 | edit |
So, this is my third attempt at reading this book. I read the first few chapters in those original attempts, and I was never able to connect, but for some reason it really DID this time. I loved the characters. I laughed, I cried, I smiled… The math related stuff I still sort of skimmed over, but I really did enjoy the novel. ( )
  paperbuildings | Jan 20, 2019 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“But the pleasure isn’t owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you.” —Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically:
Treasure-sharing,
Heart-reassuring
Signature Sharer
Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
Colin had always preferred baths; one of his general policies in life was never to do anything standing up that could just as easily be done lying down.
—pg. 3
But mothers lie. It’s in the job description.
—pg. 4
Crying adds something: crying is you, plus tears. But the feeling Colin had was some horrible opposite of crying. It was you, minus something.
—pg. 7
Prodigies can very quickly learn what other people have already figured out; geniuses discover that which no one has ever previously discovered. Prodigies learn; geniuses do.
—pg. 10
“Hassan Harbish. Sunni Muslim. Not a terrorist.”
“Lindsey Lee Wells. Methodist. Me, neither.”
—pg. 32

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible