An Abundance of Katherines (2006)

by John Green

Other authors: Daniel Bliss (Appendix)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    Paper Towns by John Green (Morteana)
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (356)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (371)
I like John Green books, but this one was kind of just meh for me.

What I did like was the cute Penguin Mini format and the fun footnotes.

What I did not like:
* I couldn't get interested in any of the characters or the story.
* The way the characters constantly said "fug" instead of the actual F word was annoying as f*&k,
which I would spell out but I don't know if GR allows it.
* Too much math. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
I didn't expect good things from this book, so I can't say that I'm disappointed. I am, however, utterly disgusted with this book and its overabundance of sanitized f-bombs (explained away as a "literary device")--plus one real f-bomb to really pack in that gritty, YA punch; its odd and seemingly random inclusion of sexual content; and its utter flippancy towards religion of any shape or size. If you insist on reading a book about "Katherine-with-a-K," go read Anne of Windy Poplars instead. ( )
  Samantha_Quick | Jul 15, 2021 |
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green is a rambling first-person narrative with a math subtext. Well, not really subtext: Colin, the main character, is a child prodigy worried about meeting his potential and his inability to stop dating and losing Katherines. Colin and his best friend Hassan head out on a road trip following yet another Katherine breakup. He is trying to figure out the mathematical formula that can be used to predict the future of a relationship. While Green made it clear you could ignore the math, it was distracting.

Not my favorite John Green: I don't think I connected with Colin or Hassan the way I have with other Green characters.
  witchyrichy | Apr 13, 2021 |
I liked the end better than the beginning. Colin is whiny and it's hard to muster up sympathy for him. I really liked his best friend Hassan (except when he referred to himself as "big daddy") and Lindsey Lee Wells. The fug, fugged, and fugging in the story is incredibly annoying. I appreciated the author's treatment of the characters' uniqueness-- I do so enjoy a tale of social outliers. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
This book made me laugh out loud a number of times. I loved Colin and Hassan and their relationship and how they dealt with the world. Colin's gradual realization that the world can't fit into formulas or tidy packages was a beautiful thing to see. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“But the pleasure isn’t owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you.” —Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically:
Treasure-sharing,
Heart-reassuring
Signature Sharer
Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
Colin had always preferred baths; one of his general policies in life was never to do anything standing up that could just as easily be done lying down.
—pg. 3
But mothers lie. It’s in the job description.
—pg. 4
Crying adds something: crying is you, plus tears. But the feeling Colin had was some horrible opposite of crying. It was you, minus something.
—pg. 7
Prodigies can very quickly learn what other people have already figured out; geniuses discover that which no one has ever previously discovered. Prodigies learn; geniuses do.
—pg. 10
“Hassan Harbish. Sunni Muslim. Not a terrorist.”
“Lindsey Lee Wells. Methodist. Me, neither.”
—pg. 32

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,295,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible