Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 1:…

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 1: The Long Way Home

by Joss Whedon, Georges Jeanty (Illustrator)

Other authors: Paul Lee (Illustrator), Andy Owens (Illustrator)

Series: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 (Vol. 1: Issues 1-5), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (801)

This is a collection of comics #1-5. I read them originally when they came out, but it's been a while and I couldn't remember where I'd left off. So I started this series again properly. I found that I liked it more this time around--even giant!Dawn. It's interesting to see where things might have gone, given how the series ended. I like the idea of the Scoobies embracing and training so many slayers. However, it definitely has room to backfire. And all the hints about the next big bad definitely have me continuing to read. Not to mention lots of familiar faces.

I look forward to reading more of the series! ( )
  katekintail | Jun 17, 2016 |
Takes a little getting used to- the story in comic book format is a little fast paced and scattered. But all the elements that made Joss Whedon's series so good are still there. ( )
  kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
As I have never seen the show or read any of the other graphic novels, this was mostly very confusing. On the one hand I was impressed that Buffy dresses like a rational person might in her job, which is automatic proof of a feminist slant. On the other hand, there were still enough enormous-boobed and scantily-clad female characters to annoy me.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
This book was on my list for a long time, and I was not disappointed when I read it. I love the idea of being able to continue a story in a universe you love after it has left it's primary media. I enjoyed the art and seeing where the characters go next. I plan to read the rest of season 8. ( )
  EllsbethB | Jan 30, 2016 |
*Book source ~ Library

Buffy Summers, Vampire Slayer. Not something you’d put on a job application. Fortunately, she already has a job even if it’s one that pays zip, zilch, nada. But she’s been doing the job for 8 years and counting, ever since she was Chosen at age 15. After the destruction of the Hellmouth and her hometown of Sunnydale, Buffy and the Scoobies have been traveling the world and gathering all the potentials-now-turned-slayers in order to train them in their new powers. Powers and skills they’ll need to fight the supernatural evil in the world. But there are forces in opposition to this plan. Buffy and gang need to figure out who they are and what they’re planning before it’s too late.

Picking up not long after the end of the final episode of Buffy on tv, this graphic novel has a few threads running parallel to each other. The part about the decoy Buffys cracked me up. For those who have seen Angel S5:E20 The Girl in Question, you know what I’m talking about. Buffy’s dreamspace is also very interesting. Hubba hubba! The illustrations are wonderful and the plot isn’t bad with a new Big Bad in the offing, but the part with Dawn and what the military guys find in Sunnydale are especially stupid. Come on! Also why there was a need for a Buffy decoy underground? I’m a tad confused about that. I am curious as to what this “Twilight” thing is though and I’m looking forward to seeing how this all plays out. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jun 29, 2015 |
It can’t match the best of the TV show, not without the contributions of the actors providing nuance to the dialogue, but it’s a darn sight better than much of season seven and many of the other adventure comics out there today.

Joss Whedonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jeanty, GeorgesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Owens, AndyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chen, JoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The thing about changing the world... once you do it, the world's all different.
This is the omnibus graphic novel of the story arc, The Long Way Home. It contains issues 1-5 of the Buffy Season 8 series of comic books, and is (sometimes) labeled Volume 1 (and may have an ISBN, 1593078226). DO NOT combine with The Long Way Home 1 (some times labeled Issue 1), which is the first comic book issue, not the omnibus.

Describes the adventures of Buffy after the events covered by the television program, as she faces a mysterious threat called "Twilight."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,511,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible