House (2006)

by Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker

A mind-bending supernatural thriller from the creators of This Present Darkness and Saint. Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker--two of the most acclaimed writers of supernatural thrillers--have joined forces for the first time to craft a story unlike any you've ever read. Enter House--where you'll find yourself thrown into a killer's deadly game in which the only way to win is to lose . . . and the only way out is in. The stakes of the game become clear when a tin can is tossed into the house with rules scrawled on it. Rules that only a madman--or worse--could have written. Rules that make no sense yet must be followed. One game. Seven players. Three rules. Game ends at dawn.… (more)
    The Wishmonger (Wishful Book 1) by Mark R. Morris Jr (Markrmorris2)
    Markrmorris2: The Wishmonger is written in the style of Peretti and Dekker.
    Creepers by David Morrell (bookymouse)

Listened to it read on audiobooks, somehow it's a struggle but not as bad as reading it by hand. I tried and failed to read this book myself so many damn times it's not funny. So I just had someone else read it to me. Ended up praising the reader but it was still an awful book and not that much fun at all.

The characters deserve death half the time, and the rest of the time they're so annoying or stating the obvious in ways you wish you could say was funny, but it's not. It's tedious and lengthy, like every interaction is dragged out and elongated on purpose.

Skip this book, I got it handed to me and am not sure what to do with it now. ( )
  Yolken | Jul 2, 2021 |
This book was okay, but not super spectacular. The middle of the story dragged on way too long. The authors added too many details trying to build too many plot twists. This story would have benefited by keeping it simple. ( )
  jguidry | Oct 24, 2020 |
Too stupid. Too manipulative. Subtle as a brick to the head.
  Bookmarque | Jan 27, 2020 |
4.75/5
Click Here for my thoughts ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
It engrossed me with its concept, and with its imagery. I kept thinking, "I can see this as a movie!". Lo and behold, it has been filmed (trailer; ,Netflix).

What ruined it for me was the ending. Not the plot's ending, but the actual ending of the novel, the last few lines. In a horror novel that invokes the epic struggle between good and evil, evil beings should not be "shoo!"'ed away.

"Shoo!" Really?

carlahaunted | Jan 8, 2019 |

Peretti, Frankprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, Tedmain authorall editionsconfirmed
The light came into the darkness, and the darkness did not understand it.

My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.
Prologue
He stood motionless in the entryway, staring at his own shadow splayed before him like a stain upon the floor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,705,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible