The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel…

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798)

by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

English (27)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
Interesting story

Coleridge is not for the weak. Good story, but man I don't enjoy poetry much. This version reads easier than the previous one. ( )
  Sonja-Fay-Little | Jan 24, 2019 |
"Water, water, everywhere,
And still the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

I've heard bits and pieces of Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner many many times in my life (my own dad memorized the poem when he was a teenager and often would recite a good portion of this poem), but I have been in the mood for some good, classic literature and poetry. Poets are in a class unto themselves! ( )
  emeraldgirl68 | Sep 30, 2018 |
Beaton can’t be beaten. First read this one soon after published, to great delight, in cold New England weather that resonate in the Scottish snowstorms. Crofter cottages, illegal stills of course for Scotch, fishermen and the loch, salmon-poaching from streams of the great shooting estates, the barren city vs rich country, the seer firmly grounded in gossip: these populate the Hamish MacBeth novels. Especially the gossip, which “would have been running rife all over the Highlands. At first people would be discreet because the man as so recently dead, but…tongues would begin to wag”(68).
Beaton writes with wit, Hamish himself often also witty, and irony:
“As he took the long road to Inverness, putting on the police siren so he could
exceed the speed limit, he reflected that it would be nice to be one of those private
eyes in fiction before whose wisdom the whole of Scotland Yard bowed”(35)
Ironically, Hamish is exactly this, a detective in fiction before whom the Scotland Police
bow—the smartest ones, anyways, but not his boss, the drunken loudmouth DCI Blair.
Under Blair is Jimmy Anderson, who looks to MacBeth for insights into suspects, and who over the course of the next few novels becomes a sidekick. He technically outranks MacBeth, but that’s because Hamish hates the bigger, barren city and refuses or avoids promotion, even crediting Jimmy with his own discoveries.

Both Beaton and her avatar Hamish show irony, say about the great police-criminal divide. Researching where the deceased lived in a pretentiously named Culloden House, suggesting a country villa at least—and not what’s now called a villa, of condo’s—Hamish’s companion suggests,
“ ‘You could say you were investigating a break-in.’
‘So I could,” with one brisk blow he smashed the glass…leaned in and
unfastened the latch. ‘So there’s the break-in, and here am I investigating it.’”(126)
Beaton ironically includes American icons, like a picture of Billy Graham on a single lady’s wall, or this exchange between a young pub flirt and Hamish’s boss Blair:
“Kylie, who was fed on a steady diet of American movies, plead the
First Amendment.
‘This is Scotland,’ growled Blair, ‘and no’ Chicago’ (193).
Although this is a failed love story, where MacBeth gains one night with a tourist, but also her hacking skills that make up for Blair’s not telling him a thing about the case, and she abandons him sans farewell, she did save his life by telling his city superiors his intent to visit the illegal whiskey distillery brothers, who turn out to have a large trade and no qualms.
MacBeth satirizes the locale he loves. When people wonder what England was like in the thirties, he says, “Try the Scottish Highlands. Bad teeth, stodgy food, and the last corner of Britain where women’s lib had not found a foothold.”(81) (Astonishing to think that the Humpster-President’s party in the US is as backward as the Highlands about women.) ( )
  AlanWPowers | Jul 7, 2018 |
I mean, I guess it's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by ST Coleridge, but more like it's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Doré, libretto by Coleridge. Either way it's great, and occasioned some great conversations between me and my son on thoughtlessness and doom. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | May 22, 2018 |
Haunting and terrifying story. A poem, a story, a little of everything. Case in point. Don't take your life for granted. Some have it much worse than you. I feel that the author accomplished what many writers before him attempted to capture. He truly scares the crap out of you. Not for your sake but for the Mariners sake. STC truly brings out the chill in the fog and isolation of the world around us. I am an old sailor and I spent many nights out on deck during my off time thinking about this book and the character. It made my life experiences so much more realistic and enjoyable. ( )
1 vote Joe73 | Apr 17, 2018 |

Lowes, John LivingstonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rooney, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, MarinaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is an ancient Mariner,
And he stoppeth one of three.
Do not combine with abridged editions such as Phoenix 60p etc.

Doré's engravings for The Rime are considered by many to be his greatest work. The terrifying space of the open sea, the storms and whirlpools of an unknown ocean, the hot equatorial seas swarming with monsters, the ice of Antarctica, more — are all rendered in a powerful manner. Full text and 38 plates.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:15 -0400)

Pairs the text of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's epic poem, which tells how a sailor is punished for killing an albatross, with illustrations by French artist, Gustave Dor?.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,164,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible