A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

A Man Without a Country (2005)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Other authors: Daniel Simon (Editor)

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (KayCliff)
    Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 1 by Mark Twain (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: The ranting of a disgruntled American humorist.
    Autobiography of Mark Twain, volume 2 by Mark Twain (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: The authors' parting shots on their lives and times, especially their somewhat pessimistic opinions regarding the prevailing political situations.

English (64)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (66)
I like Vonnegut's books. I've read every one of them, and will probably reread some. I liked his cameo in Back to School.

This one has gotten lots of 4-5 star reviews here on Goodreads. How many great reviews would it have gotten if it weren't written by Kurt Vonnegut? Probably none.

It's a nice rambling book, with perhaps some pearls of wisdom, but right now I have too many other books that I want to read. Maybe another day.

Sorry, Mr. V. ( )
  TromboneAl | May 4, 2018 |
More relevant today than when it was first written. God Bless You, Kurt Vonnegut, the world needs you back! ( )
  5hrdrive | Mar 13, 2016 |
Just a guy talking about life and stuff. A mellow read. Good for getting a little perspective. ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |
3.5 stars (7/10) ( )
  averybird | Dec 28, 2015 |
A non-fiction book by Vonnegut. It was extremely well written like all his books. But Vonnegut is a pessimist who is very liberal and he talks about how people are ruining the earth and each other. ( )
  KamGeb | Apr 5, 2015 |
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 6, 2009)

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Simon, DanielEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
There is no reason good can't triumph over evil, if only angels will get organized like the mafia.
As a kid I was the youngest member of my family, and the youngest child in any family is always a jokemaker, because a joke is the only way he can enter into an adult conversation.
If you live long enough, a lot of people close to you are going to die.
Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.
Humor is an almost physiological response to fear.
And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.

In a collection of brief autobiographical essays, the renowned novelist offers his views on art, politics, and everyday life in America.

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 158322713X, 1583227903

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,157,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible