Children of Dune (1976)

by Frank Herbert

Series: Dune (3), Dune: Complete Chronology (17)

In this third installment, the sand-blasted world of Arrakis has become green, watered, and fertile. Old Paul Atreides, who led the desert Fremen to political and religious domination of the galaxy, is gone. But for the children of Dune, the very blossoming of their land contains the seeds of its own destruction. The altered climate is destroying the giant sandworms, and this in turn is disastrous for the planet's economy. Leto and Ghanima, Paul Atreides's twin children and his heirs, can see possible solutions--but fanatics begin to challenge the rule of the all-powerful Atreides empire, and more than economic disaster threatens.… (more)

English (80)  Italian (1)  All languages (81)
Brilliant world building, fantastic story arcs. Just squint a little.. ( )
  tarsel | Sep 4, 2022 |
Wow. I'm still loving this series. I wasn't sure how I was going to enjoy this one, but I loved it. There is a lot of wild political intrigue and religion with sci-fi/fantasy that takes a ton of imagination to conjure up on the fly...But Herbert is talented enough to get you there.

I didn't remember a thing about it and I'm having doubts about reading it when I was younger. I definitely did not read past this book though, so I am entering into new territory now. ( )
  rabbit-stew | Jun 26, 2022 |
If Dune is the original Star Wars and Dune Messiah is The Empire Strikes Back, then Children of Dune is the Disney reboot. ( )
  NerdyBookingham | May 21, 2022 |
Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 3) by Frank Herbert (1987)
  sharibillops | May 20, 2022 |
This book finishes my journey through Arrakis.
I was aware of the reviews describing the decreasing quality of the story. Still, after binge reading Dune and Dune Messiah, I couldn't have enough of this world.
It is well written and I did enjoy parts of the book, hence the 3 stars. I've specially enjoyed the further world-building and some of the characters development. However, some of it appear to serve no purpose at all and the ending felt a bit rushed.
It serves the purpose to show the corruption caused by power but I cannot conform myself with the ending.
I wish I've stopped in the second installment.
  Sara_Machado | Apr 7, 2022 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hahn, Ronald M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bev: Out of the wonderful commitment of our love and to share her beauty and her wisdom for she truly inspired this book.
A spot of light appeared on the deep red rug which covered the raw rock of the cave floor.

The Children of Dune are twin siblings Leto and Ghanima Atreides, whose father, the Emperor Paul Muad'Dib, disappeared in the desert wastelands of Arrakis nine years ago. Like their father, the twins possess supernormal abilities--making them valuable to their manipulative aunt Alia, who rules the Empire in the name of House Atreides.

Facing treason and rebellion on two fronts, Alia's rule is not absolute. The displaced House Corrino is plotting to regain the throne while the fanatical Fremen are being provoked into open revolt by the enigmatic figure known only as The Preacher. Alia believes that by obtaining the secrets of the twins' prophetic visions, she can maintain control over her dynasty.

But Leto and Ghanima have their own plans for their visions--and their destinies....
Trapped by prescience
Old ways erode and transform
A new Golden Path
(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,212,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible