The Ladies of Missalonghi (1987)

by Colleen McCullough

The Hurlingford family have ruled the small town of Byron, nestled in the Blue Mountains, for generations. Wealthy, powerful and cruel, they get what they want, every time. Missy Wright lives with her widowed mother and crippled aunt in genteel poverty. Hurlingfords by birth, all three are victim to the family's rule of inheritance: the men take it all. Plain, thin and unforgivably single, it seems Missy's life is destined to be dreary. But then a stranger arrives in town. A divorcee from Sydney. And she opens Missy's eyes to the possibility of a happy ending. This is an endearing tale, full of wit, warmth and romance, from the bestselling author of THE THORN BIRDS.… (more)
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: Until I reread them both, I actually confused these two stories. I think that if you enjoy one, you'll enjoy the other.
    The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (glorymom13)

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
Sweet and satisfying ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
Colleen McCullough shows her narrative strength in this short novel that tells the story of a family of patriarchs who are outwitted by one of their own. Wonderfully rich characters with just a little magic woven in.
  witchyrichy | Apr 13, 2021 |
The Ladies of Missalonghi is enjoyable to a point, but it had to be plagiarized from L. M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle. There's simply no other way to explain the similarities. McCullough is an able writer so it doesn't make sense that she'd copy a story so blatantly, but she clearly did. Maybe it was intended as a tribute of sorts? The story is well written and I read it in one sitting, but there are a few disquieting things that are somehow supposed to be palatable to the reader. I will probably not reread this. ( )
1 vote atimco | Jun 11, 2018 |
Plagiarized and inferior version of The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
Similar theme as L. M. Montgomery's "The Blue Castle", but both are very good. I enjoy when the plain person is more interesting than the lovely sister/cousin/friend and gets the better deal. ( )
  Auj | Apr 10, 2016 |

Colleen McCulloughprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuyper-Snel, Mariëlla deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mother, who has finally attained her dream of living in the Blue Mountains
"Can you tell me, Octavia, why our luck never seems to change for the better?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,436,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible