The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

The Sugar Queen

by Sarah Addison Allen

2,5672043,770 (3.97)304
The tale of a young woman whose family secrets--and secret passions--are about to change her life forever.
Recently added byrena75, markleggott

Very good story. Along the lines of Secret of Bees....with a twist ( )
  karenhulseman | Dec 3, 2019 |
Very good story. Along the lines of Secret of Bees....with a twist ( )
  karenhulseman | Dec 3, 2019 |
This was a great book to read while recovering from surgery. I have enjoyed everyone of Sarah Addison Allen's books. The characters are so quirky. ( )
  dara85 | Sep 13, 2019 |
Josey hides away from the world eating her way through her secret stash of candy until Della Lee inexplicably moves into her closet and Josey is forced to face the outside world with all that it entails. I enjoyed the magic parts in this immensely, especially the books that follow Chloe around are hilarious, but overall this is way too much chick-lit for me and the ending is way more sugary than any candy Josey could have eaten. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 2, 2019 |
"Why do you buy books you don’t even read?’ our daughter asks us. That’s like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course."

I accidentally reread this and thoroughly enjoyed it! I forgot how atmospheric and lush Allen's writing is. ( )
  simplybookdrunk | Jun 20, 2019 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meyers, AriadneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dad, with all my love
When Josey woke up and saw the feathery frost on her windowpane, she smiled.
She felt him getting nearer, felt it like a pull in the pit of her stomach. It felt like hunger but deeper, heavier. Like the best kind of expectation. Ice cream expectation. Chocolate expectation.
He was seated at the bar, surrounded by women, women who existed only at night, thin sheets of steel, all sharp edges and shine, undulating and unsteady.
Ice queens didn't break, after all. They melted. And Marco didn't have enough warmth for that.
There was a certain power beautiful mothers held over their less beautiful daughters.
Books can be possessive, can't they? You're walking around in a bookstore and a certain one will jump out at you, like it had moved there on its own, just to get your attention. … 'Why do you buy books you don't even read?' our daughter asks us. That's like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Addison Allen's book The Sugar Queen was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,344,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible