The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths

The Crossing Places (2009)

by Elly Griffiths

Series: Ruth Galloway (1)

Recently added byjillcw, rena75, SandDune, LSDWho, h.orrison

English (111)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (116)
Enjoyable mystery, but (curses) the surprises were not so surprising to me. I'm also not sure what to make of the protagonist, who is described as schlumpy, unkempt, and overweight, but who manages to attract more than her fair share of romance (yes, I know unkempt overweight people in real life do manage to pair off from time-to-time, but not usually in the circumstances in this book).

Still, it was intelligently written, and I'm happy to try another in the series. ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
What a thrilling, scary, intricate mystery this is! The characters are fascinating and although there are several men, they were each special and well described by their interactions with Ruth Galloway. Each relationship was woven nicely into the mystery. I especially enjoyed the narration of this in the audiobook format. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
I now live in Norfolk and I love the folk myths that abound. I was, however, a little suspicious of a book which promised to "weave superstition and myth into a crime novel". I did not want the crime to have been committed by a ghost, or something.

I needn't have worried. Elly Griffiths is a good writer and doesn't descend into such tricks. Naturally, one has to suspend belief to a certain extent and, yes, the detective has her odd foibles but these are not allowed to interfere with a cracking whodunnit. Dr Ruth Galloway is an archaeologist and she hooks up with DCI Harry Nelson, a go-get-'em policeman - unlikely but, who cannot suspend clinical reason for a good story?

In the classic style of this genre, the reader is thrown from pillar to post: firstly certain that X is the villain, only for he or she to be completely exonerated two pages further on - and re-added to the suspects within a chapter. I thought that I had been clever; I had strong suspicions of one character from early on. It appeared, with pages rapidly running out, that my perspicacity was to be rewarded only for the prize to be ingeniously snatched away in the final pages.

This is a series that I shall certainly follow. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Jul 9, 2018 |
Just don’t know

Big Ship
8July 2018 ( )
  bigship | Jul 8, 2018 |
When a child's skeletal remains are found in a Norfolk salt marsh, the first question for the police is how old are these bones? They call on Galloway, an archeologist teaching at a local university, for help. The bones are determined to be really old, but Galloway gets pulled in to consulting with police on the cases of two missing children.

The mystery was good and I like Galloway's character although more character development in general will be welcome. I'll continue the series and see where it goes. ( )
  clue | Apr 21, 2018 |
A highly atmospheric mystery set in the desolate salt marshes of England’s Norfolk coast.

Elly Griffithsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lönnroth, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McDowell, JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moisan, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turvey, RaymondMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What the sand gets, the sand keeps forever.

Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone
For Marge
They wait for the tide and set out at first light.
Ruth Galloway: Frågorna är viktigare än svaren

When she's not digging up bones or other ancient objects, quirky, tart-tongued archaeologist Ruth Galloway lives happily alone with her cats in a remote area of England called the Saltmarsh, land that was sacred to its Iron Age inhabitants — not quite earth, not quite sea. When a child's bones are found on a desolate beach nearby, Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson calls Galloway for help. Nelson thinks he has found the remains of Lucy Downey, a little girl who went missing ten years ago. Since her disappearance, he has been receiving bizarre letters about her, letters with references to ritual and sacrifice, some even including quotes from the Bible and Shakespeare.

The bones turn out to be two thousand years old, but Ruth is soon drawn into the Lucy Downey case and into the mind of the letter writer, who seems to have both archaeological knowledge and eerie psychic powers. Then another child goes missing, and the hunt is on to find her. As the letter writer moves closer and the windswept Norfolk landscape exerts its power, Ruth finds herself in completely new territory — and in serious danger.
bodies in salt marsh
religious sign posts
peat versus repeats
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547229895, Hardcover)

Product Description
When she's not digging up bones or other ancient objects, quirky, tart-tongued archaeologist Ruth Galloway lives happily alone in a remote area called Saltmarsh near Norfolk, land that was sacred to its Iron Age inhabitants--not quite earth, not quite sea.

When a child's bones are found on a desolate beach nearby, Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson calls Galloway for help. Nelson thinks he has found the remains of Lucy Downey, a little girl who went missing ten years ago. Since her disappearance he has been receiving bizarre letters about her, letters with references to ritual and sacrifice. The bones actually turn out to be two thousand years old, but Ruth is soon drawn into the Lucy Downey case and into the mind of the letter writer, who seems to have both archaeological knowledge and eerie psychic powers. Then another child goes missing and the hunt is on to find her. As the letter writer moves closer and the windswept Norfolk landscape exerts its power, Ruth finds herself in completely new territory--and in serious danger.

The Crossing Places marks the beginning of a captivating new crime series featuring an irresistible heroine.

Amazon Exclusive Essay: "A Bridge to the Afterlife" by Elly Griffiths, Author of The Crossing Places

The Crossing Places is set on desolate marshland in Norfolk. It is thought that prehistoric people saw marshland as sacred. Because it is neither land nor sea but a mixture of both, they saw it as a kind of bridge to the afterlife--neither land nor sea, neither life nor death. This is why they often buried treasure, or even bodies, at the edge of marshland. There have been several discoveries of so-called bog bodies, prehistoric bodies preserved in peaty marshland soil. The most famous of these is probably Tollund Man, discovered in Denmark in 1950. Tollund Man, who dates from the Iron Age, was hanged before being thrown into a peat bog. Was he a sacrifice to the gods, an offering in return for safe passage across the treacherous ground? No one really knows.

Norfolk is on the east coast of England. Less than ten thousand years ago, this land would have been part of the European landmass, now Scandinavia. It's no wonder, then, that Norse belief was strong in the area. My story is fictional but there have been many real-life archaeological discoveries on the Norfolk coast. At Holme-next-the-Sea, a wooden henge was discovered, believed to date from the Bronze Age. At the center of the henge circle was a tree, planted upside down. Was this Yggdrasil, the world tree of Norse legend? The tree on which Odin was sacrificed for the good of mankind? Again, no one knows. As Ruth, the forensic archaeologist in my book, says, "the questions are more important than the answers."

(Photo © Jerry Bauer)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

When a child's bones are found near an ancient henge in the wild saltmarshes of Norfolk's north coast, Ruth Galloway, a university lecturer in forensic archaeology, is asked to date them by DCI Harry Nelson who thinks they may be the bones of a child called Lucy who has been missing for ten years.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,661,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible