Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy

Nights of Rain and Stars (2004)

by Maeve Binchy

English (51)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (56)
I won't rate this since I didn't finish it, but I have to say I'm really disappointed that I didn't get into this book. The story was okay, but the writing style and language of it was just too formal, too stilted to continue. I had checked this and another book by Binchy out from the library but I won't be reading that one either.
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
In a Greek taverna, high over the small village of Aghia Anna, four people meet for the first time: Fiona, an Irish nurse, Thomas, a Californian academic; Elsa, a German television presenter; and David a shy English boy. Along with Andreas, the old man who runs the taverna, they become close to each other after witnessing a tragedy when a pleasure steamer catches fire in the harbour. NIGHTS OF RAIN AND STARS is the story of one summer when Fiona, Thomas, Elsa and David all have to face the particular life crisis which first made them leave their homes and end up in Greece. With the help of Vonni, a middle-aged Irish woman who lives in the village and is now a near-native, they each find a solution - although not necessarily the one they anticipated...
  JESGalway | Apr 26, 2018 |
Reread 2/1/2018
Light hearted warm story of personal relationships and family. ( )
  ElizabethCromb | Jan 2, 2018 |
This book was a real disappointment for me. I have usually loved Binchy's books but this one, her latest, was poorly written, had no really interesting characters and a rather lame story line. It is set entirely on a Greek island which may be the problem as all of her other books have been at least partly set in Ireland. Maybe someone else will like it better. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 22, 2017 |
Lovely story of several Greek Island residents, and 4 tourists from different countries, who just happen to all meet at Andreas' taverna one night, then stay on for a while after a tourist boat accident. ( )
  nancynova | Jan 28, 2017 |
Andreas thought he saw the fire down in the bay before anyone else did. He peered and shook his head in disbelief.

In a tiny Greek village, tourists enter a hilltop tavern, alone and in pairs, for a casual lunch. But a sudden tragedy in the harbor below causes these perfect strangers to become unlikely friends as their lives begin to entwine.

Fiona left her nursing career in Ireland to be with the man everyone thinks is wrong for her. Elsa fled Germany and her high-powered television job once she learned what the man she loved was hiding from her. Thomas mourns his failed marriage and misses his young son in California, while David yearns to reconcile with his family in England without having to go into the family business. Chance has brought them together, and together they will find new ways of looking at the lives they left behind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:13 -0400)

In a small Greek island village, a group of travelers from around the world and the local residents they encounter are brought together when tragedy strikes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible