The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a…

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the… (2009)

by Gretchen Rubin

English (142)  Norwegian (1)  All (143)
I regularly enjoy following people along a journey that they are undertaking, but I found it to be very uplifting to see Gretchen Rubin through the highs and lows of her journey to happiness. It seems to be an extremely personal and honest story which is commendable. I found many good ideas and ways to start my own similar journey. Her allocation of a goal per month was an incredible idea that work wonders for her and others. ( )
  morganmcb19 | Mar 23, 2018 |
Maybe 2 1/2 stars... ( )
  heatherdhahn | Feb 5, 2018 |
There are a ton of books written on happiness and The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin takes some of the best ideas as she goes thru a personal search to see what really works. Each month of a single year Rubin tried to apply the principles of a widely known source of happiness. She is brutally honest about what worked and what didn't. In the end she felt happier but ultimately there is no magic pill and what works for one person does not necessarily work for the other. An interesting read that gives some good ideas on your own pursuit of happiness. ( )
  realbigcat | Oct 15, 2017 |
I forget where and when I first heard of Gretchen Rubin. I listen to her podcast, but I don't remember which came first, book or podcast. Perhaps because I am so familiar with her findings, there was nothing really new here. The life-stunt format was OK, and it was nice to see things laid out, but I didn't feel that this book was very helpful to me.

I do recommend her later books, which built on this one, as being more detailed and helpful. Also, the podcast is packed with useful tips and insights. ( )
  teckelvik | Sep 6, 2017 |
Rubin brings us along on her journey to transform herself into a happier person. A worthy aspiration and wonderful memoir we can all relate to and learn from. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
A fun, funny and wise book written by Gretchen Rubin, a regular HuffingtonPost.com contributor, it's a distillation of the wisdom of the ages on happiness. It provides eminently practical ways to amplify your happiness pretty much immediately (e.g. gossip less; exercise more; launch a pet project).

(Video review follows)

I had fun reading about Rubin's triumphs, insights, and failures. She's honest about her frustrating experiences, which are often more interesting that her successful ones.

If you are interested in clarifying your reasons to become uncluttered, are looking to be happier, or simply enjoy the genre of “a year in the life” style books, I recommend checking out The Happiness Project. It’s a great reminder for not letting the joys of life pass you by.
added by bongiovi | editUnclutterer Blog (Dec 29, 2009)

Gretchen Rubinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kord, RussellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenth, LarsOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bree, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walendowska MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Samuel Johnson: "As the Spanish proverb says, 'He, who would bring home the wealth of the Indies, must carry the wealth of the Indies with him."
—James Boswell, The life of Samuel Johnson
There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
—Robert Louis Stevenson
For My Family
A "happiness project" is an approach to changing your life. (A Note to the Reader)
I'd always vaguely expected to outgrow my limitations.

Contents:
January, Vitality: boost energy -- February, Marriage: remember love -- March, Work: aim higher -- April, Parenthood: lighten up -- May, Leisure: be serious about play -- June, Friendship: make time for friends -- July, Money: buy some happiness -- August, Eternity: contemplate the heavens -- September, Books: pursue a passion -- October, Mindfulness: pay attention -- November, Attitude: keep a contented heart -- December, Happiness: boot camp perfect -- Your happiness project -- Further reading.

Happiness Project Tool Box

On the outside, Gretchen Rubin had it all--a good marriage, healthy children and a successful career--but something was missing. Determined to end that nagging feeling, she set out on a year-long quest to learn how to better enjoy the life she already had. Each month, Gretchen pursued a different set of resolutions--go to sleep earlier, tackle a nagging task, bring people together, take time to be silly. She read everything from classical philosophy to cutting-edge scientific studies, from Winston Churchill to Oprah, developing her own definition of happiness and a plan for how to achieve it. She kept track of which resolutions worked and which didn't, sharing her stories and collecting those of others. Bit by bit, she began to appreciate and amplify the happiness in her life. With a wicked sense of humour and sharp insight, Gretchen's story will inspire readers to embrace the pleasure in their lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,572,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible