What's Next: Dispatches on the Future of Science (Vintage) (2009)

by Max Brockman

Will climate change force a massive human migration to the Northern Rim? How does our sense of morality arise from the structure of the brain? What does the latest research in language acquisition tells us about the role of culture in the way we think? What does current neurological research tell us about the nature of time? This wide-ranging collection of never-before-published essays offers the very latest insights into the daunting scientific questions of our time. Its contributors—some of the most brilliant young scientists working today—provide not only an introduction to their cutting-edge research, but discuss the social, ethical, and philosophical ramifications of their work. With essays covering fields as diverse as astrophysics, paleoanthropology, climatology, and neuroscience, What's Next? is a lucid and informed guide to the new frontiers of science.… (more)

English (4)  German (1)  All languages (5)
Sean Carroll's article is the best. ( I hope they'll find the Higgs boson, so everything'll change and I don't have to read his big book about spacetime geometery ) ~ ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
18 essays, averaging 13 pages each, on topics ranging from psychology to cosmology, the former being rather overrepresented.
  fpagan | Oct 29, 2009 |
This short book is a collection of essays about the future of science and was a nice illuminating read. Oddly enough, much of the material was already familiar to a dilettante like myself which I guess shows the efficacy of listening to podcasts of Radiolab and Scientific American. The title is a little misleading as the majority of this book is "what's now" with the authors not speculating much about the future, which is good science. Popular topics among the essays are climate change, neurology as it relates to memory, language, and morality, and human evolution. Favorite essays include Lera Boroditsky: "How Does Our Language Shape The Way We Think?", Nathan Wolfe: "The Aliens Among Us" (about viruses), and Katerina Harvarti: "Extinction and the Evolution of Humankind." This is a good book to pick up if you're interested in a quick overview of contemporary scientific research. ( )
  Othemts | Oct 1, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,390,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible