Grandville: a fantasy by Bryan Talbot

Grandville: a fantasy

by Bryan Talbot

3 and a half stars - have actually read a few of these and enjoyed them but I think this first one can stand in for the series. Enjoyed the artwork and the wit and references/homages that I noticed (I'm sure there were many more that passed me by) and reading it during the farce of the Brexit negotiations gives it extra emphasis, given that it was written in 2009 and covers events just after Britain won independance from France! ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
I absolutely loved this book. The characters are so awesome and very well drawn. I would very much like to read the other four books. ( )
  JillKenna | Jan 28, 2018 |
Alternate reality
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
I'm not usually that big on anthropomorphic characters but the magnificent artwork, dynamic steampunk setting and action-packed plot totally sucked me in. If you like subversive plots like [book:V for Vendetta|5805], you should appreciate Grandville. I even forgave the talking animals when I read the line "Badgers? We don' need no steenkin' badgers." I'll definitely be reading more of these.

Hint: Check with your local library to see if they have access to Hoopla digital content. ( )
  Unkletom | Oct 5, 2017 |
Very enjoyable and creative. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
For Alwyn
Faster, damn it! Faster, boy! They're gaining on us!

"Two hundred years ago, Britain lost the Napoleonic War and fell under the thumb of French domination. Gaining independence after decades of civil disobedience and anarchist bombings, the Socialist Republic of Britain is now a small, unimportant backwater connected by a railway bridge, steam-powered dirigible, and mutual suspicion to France. When a British diplomat's murder is made to look like suicide, ferocious Detective-Inspector LeBrock of Scotland Yard stalks a ruthless murder squad through the heart of a Belle Epoque Paris, the center of the greatest empire in a world of steam-driven hansom cabs, automatons, and flying machines. LeBrock's relentless quest can lead only to death, truth . . . or war" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,749,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible