The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane by Robert…

The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane (1998)

by Robert E. Howard

With Conan the Cimmerian, Robert E. Howard created more than the greatest action hero of the twentieth century-he also launched a genre that came to be known as sword and sorcery. But Conan was not the first archetypal adventurer to spring from Howard's fertile imagination.He was...a strange blending of Puritan and Cavalier, with a touch of the ancient philosopher, and more than a touch of the pagan.... A hunger in his soul drove him on and on, an urge to right all wrongs, protect all weaker things.... Wayward and restless as the wind, he was consistent in only one respect-he was true to his ideals of justice and right. Such was Solomon Kane.Collected in this volume are all of the stories that make up the thrilling saga of the dour and deadly Puritan: "Skulls in the Stars," "The Right Hand of Doom," "Red Shadows," "Rattle of Bones," "The Castle of the Devil," "Death's Black Riders," "The Moon of Skulls," "The One Black Stain," "The Blue Flame of Vengeance," "The Hills of the Dead," "Hawk of Basti," "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville," "Wings in the Night," "The Footfalls Within," "The Children of Asshur," and "Solomon Kane's Homecoming."… (more)
    Matthias Thulmann: Witch Hunter by C. L. Werner (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Both books deal with (sort of) Puritans fighting supernatural menaces.
    Witch Hunter by C. L. Werner (jseger9000)

I find short story collections some of the hardest books to read. It's hard to get into a rhythm, and the impetuous to continue on is not there. This book was no exception. Solomon Kane is a fantastical man who sees only right and wrong and goes around the world defeating evil. I found the stories to be rather gothic in emotion and style, and I really had a hard time caring what happened next to this character. Overblown, dramatic, and boring. Not a good combination. ( )
  carliwi | Sep 23, 2019 |

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 432
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

The collected works following the adventures of the Puritan Swordsman, Solomon Kane. From the deepest depths of Africa to the windswept shores of England, Solomon Kane follows wither the spirit leads. Avenging wrongs, rescuing maidens, defeating evil incarnate, Solomon Kane knows no fear, for he is God's Avenging Sword against Evil.

My Thoughts:

Not as enjoyable as the Essential Conan collection I read last year. Part of that was that there just wasn't nearly as much material for Solomon Kane as there was for Conan. Almost 1/3 of the stories in this book were fragments that Howard had started and then either set aside or just never finished. Thankfully each story that was a fragment had the word (fragment), like that, next to the story name. There were also 2 or 3 poems and I'm just not a poetry buff of any sort.

My biggest problem however, was that Kane was supposed to be a Puritan. While he dresses like one, not once does he act in any way that I recognized as a Godly man. He consorts with sorcerers, uses gifts of magic from a devil worshipper, thinks that men are nothing but higher animals and generally displays no reverence for God. He occasionally mouths a platitude or two about “faith” but what he said could just as easily have come from a Hindu, a Muslim or a Buddhist.

Now with all of that out of the way...

There were some fine pulp stories here. Encountering lost civilizations in the heart of Africa, fighting off a tribe of flying cannibal creatures, torching a city of zombie vampires, fighting a whole crew of pirates, Solomon Kane has the chops to keep you entertained. Everydayshouldbetuesday talked about Solomon Kane back in May and that peaked my interest.

I would recommend this if you enjoyed Howard's Conan stories and wanted to try something different. However, if you haven't read any Howard, don't start with this.

★★★☆☆ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Aug 2, 2019 |
There a bunch of pulpy goodness here, much of it a product of its time (for better or for worse). I'm amazed at 1) how many incomplete Kane stories there actually were, and 2) how often every character shrugs their shoulders. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
Kane is a grim guy. Not too hard too tell that Howard penned him. Determined, grim and resourceful. He wanders a world of fog, darkness and hypocrisy setting wrongs to right. Glad he is on our side. ( )
  Joe73 | Apr 17, 2018 |
This is the ultimate in heroic fantasy. Quintessential. It's dark, edgy and intense -- beautiful, like an old master's painting, with vivid descriptions, emotions, and gritty, detailed fight scenes. This work has a lot of energy. ( )
  ftmckinstry | Aug 26, 2016 |

Robert E. Howardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gianni, GaryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Father Joseph A. Kelly "Nulla dies sine linear" Gary Gianni
It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,813,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible