Terrier

by Tamora Pierce

Series: Tortall Universe (1 (Beka Cooper: The Hunt Records 1)), Beka Cooper (1)

When sixteen-year-old Beka becomes "Puppy" to a pair of "Dogs," as the Provost's Guards are called, she uses her police training, natural abilities, and a touch of magic to help them solve the case of a murdered baby in Tortall's Lower City.

Kind of a slow build but such a solid payoff. Although I don't think I have read any of her stuff since I was about 13, I'm so very glad Tamora Pierce is still churning it out. I even bought the rest of the trilogy when I discovered the public library only has the ebook (hate hare hate ebooks!) which speaks very clearly about my enjoyment. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
*Review of the series on the last book* ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |
Tamora Pierce has always been one of my favorite authors. I love her storytelling abilities and her characters. No matter who or what the story is about it always grips me from the first page to the last. I especially love her books that take place in Tortall. The Beka Cooper series is so good because it has a strong female protagonist and an intriguing storyline. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
tor.com https://www.tor.com/2021/05/11/society-class-and-the-police-in-tamora-pierces-pr.....

I've listened to this audiobook twice and I've thoroughly enjoyed it both times. I have read two other T. Pierce series and one of the things I like about this book is the adults in Beka's life. I know this is a YA book but since I'm not a young adult, I do like reading about how the adults support the main characters and not read only about the magical tweens. IMO, this book not only has interesting characters but a rich environment.

The audiobook narrator gave the book such life, an amazing performance. I am glad the sequel has the same reader.

5th series set in the Tortall Universe. 200 years before ALANNA: THE FIRST ADVENTURE
------------------

Book 1 was a 5* story for me. I've read the other two also (Bloodhound #2, Mastiff #3) and did not enjoy them as much. Book 3 was fine as a stand-alone but as the 3rd book in a trilogy I feel it didn't incorporate enough from the first two books. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
I love reading Tamora Pierce. She has such a beautiful way of fabricating worlds and characters and plots that just leaves me submerged in it all.

Beka gives us another beautifully real heroine, one that is shy and magically inclined but is also stubborn and smart and so, so keen to do good and help others. Don't expect her to be perfect; expect her to capture your attention and keep it long after you've finished this book.

Only thing I didn't love about this book is the format. Not a huge fan of journal-entry-type-novels, but Pierce does a good job at making me forget even that. ( )
  sraazad | Jul 1, 2021 |
added by lquilter | editSchool Library Journal

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barkat, JonathanCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Tortall Universe (1 (Beka Cooper: The Hunt Records 1))
To Tim

This one's all yours. It's time. And you deserve this and more, for putting all that effort into us.
Written on the morning of my first day of duty.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,456,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible