All Families are Psychotic by Douglas…

All Families are Psychotic (2001)

by Douglas Coupland

The Red House by Mark Haddon (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: Both books tell the story of a family with issues, from their different viewpoints. 'All Families' does it with lots of black humor, 'The Red House' with an interesting approach to the viewpoints.
    Sugarless by James Magruder (amberwitch)

English (28)  French (1)  All languages (29)
I loved the ridiculous over the topness of this book. The wildly disfunctional family comes together to cheer on the one successful member of the family - an astronaut taking off on the space shuttle. As they get involved in an illegal con, they deal with family issues in their own messed up ways. I found all the characters curiously like-able, despite repressions, addictions, sexism, and criminal behavior. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is such a weird story, I'm not sure what to say about it. It's a story about AIDS, and about the 60s and 2000s, NASA, and infidelity. It's about family, and the ways this particular family is twisted and weird, dysfunctional, and how they learn to get along and learn about each other as well.
There are some really outlandish things that happen, and outlandish people we encounter, but I've definitely had my share of that, I don't know how unusual it really is.
  Pepperwings | Mar 19, 2018 |
The book was better than I thought it would be! At certain times I found myself laughing out loud. ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Another by Coupland that I quite liked. Donating as I'm clearing my bookshelves for a move. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
A real page turner, with unbelieveable situations involving the Drummond family. A reunion in Florida near Cape Canaveral takes place in order to watch Sarah (daughter) launch into space. Mom, Janet, is dying and her politeness and manners go out the window. Her two sons, Wade and Bryan, her exhusband, Ted, along with Nickie (Teds new wife), Howie, Sarahs husband and Shw, Bryans true love, get into some humorous, crazy circumstances and you're afraid to put the book down. What will they do next!? ( )
  camplakejewel | Oct 29, 2013 |
IN A DREAM YOU SAW A WAY TO SURVIVE AND YOU WERE FULL OF JOY
―Jenny Holzer
Janet opened her eyes—Florida's prehistoric glare dazzled outside the motel window.

On the eve of the next Space Shuttle mission, a divided family comes together...Warm, witty and wise, 'All Families Are Psychotic' is Coupland at the very top of his form. In a cheap motel an hour from Cape Canaveral, Janet Drummond takes her medication, and does a rapid tally of the whereabouts of her children. Wade has spent the night in jail; suicidal Bryan is due to arrive at any moment with his vowel-free girlfriend, Shw; and then there is Sarah, 'a bolt of lightning frozen in midflash' - here in Orlando to be the star of Friday's shuttle mission. With Janet's ex-husband and his trophy wife also in town, Janet spends a moment contemplating her family, and where it all went wrong. Or did it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:00 -0400)

"On the eve of the next Space Shuttle mission, a divided family comes together ... Warm, witty and wise, 'All Families Are Psychotic' is Coupland at the very top of his form. In a cheap motel an hour from Cape Canaveral, Janet Drummond takes her medication, and does a rapid tally of the whereabouts of her children. Wade has spent the night in jail; suicidal Bryan is due to arrive at any moment with his vowel-free girlfriend, Shw; and then there is Sarah, 'a bolt of lightning frozen in midflash' -- here in Orlando to be the star of Friday's shuttle mission. With Janet's ex-husband and his trophy wife also in town, Janet spends a moment contemplating her family, and where it all went wrong. Or did it?"--Publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,336,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible