HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Abandon

by Blake Crouch

Series: Fear [Crouch] (3)

On Christmas Day in 1893, every man, woman and child in a remote gold mining town disappeared, belongings forsaken, meals left to freeze in vacant cabins, and not a single bone was ever found. One hundred thirteen years later, two backcountry guides are hired by a history professor and his journalist daughter to lead them into the abandoned mining town so that they can learn what happened. With them is a psychic, and a paranormal photographer--as the town is rumored to be haunted. A party that tried to explore the town years ago was never heard from again. What this crew is about to discover is that twenty miles from civilization, with a blizzard bearing down, they are not alone, and the past is very much alive.… (more)

.25 stars for the blurb on the back of the book. The book itself gets a zero.

I only read this because I needed something to read at work.

My biggest issue: the writing. It was barely mediocre. And because it was that bad everything else tanked. Not that the characters were interesting. Everyone existed just to be killed. I swear. Meet a character, a few pages later they die. And if you're going to kill nearly everyone, just go on and kill everyone.

This book could also have been half the length it was. And the switching back and forth was so pointless. Leave us in the dark for some things. It makes for a better read. And there was just too much going on that was unnecessary and had no purpose. And for being extremely detailed for most of the book the ending was sure rushed. I mean, really. On trial for murder and then found not guilty? It was too pat.

I suppose this was supposed to be horror but it felt like a sixth grade attempt that failed pathetically. ( )
  pacbox | Jul 9, 2022 |
Page Turner

Read this in one night, absolutely could not put it down.
I agree with some that it is not realistic and there are a few holes in the story; however when I read it is for pleasure and I can overlook small inconsistencies. If I want realism i read non fiction. Great read! ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
This has such a creep factor because of the nonchalance. I haven't encountered this since Richard Gardner's "Deadly Partnership." But at the end of "Abandon," I wanted to wash my hands or maybe take a shower. I felt dirty.

Well then, I guess the book did its job. It was a horror book and I was horrified. Five stars! ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Abandon is richly described and full of action. The twists kept me guessing and the dual timeline narrative gave me two books for the price of one. It's a solid, entertaining, yet gruesome read. ( )
  lee.gabel | Dec 22, 2021 |
I would really appreciate if whoever writes jacket summaries would stop insinuating supernatural story elements when the author has clearly written none into the story. Well, aside from a randomly placed storyline involving paranormal photographers that really comes to nothing. It is dishonest to try to court the horror crowd when you are really touting a suspense/thriller.

As for the story itself, it's rather overwrought and convoluted. There are timeline shifts, Marines turned mercenaries, father/daughter hardships, dead children, paranormal photographers, dying mining towns/ghost towns, a blizzard, betrayals, bad guys who refuse to die, murders, insanity, the voice of God, the mysterious disappearance of an entire town of people, and Spanish gold. I'm sure I missed a few things. Yet with all of that, the plot itself felt formulaic. If there were twists and turns, you could see them coming from a mile away. There are a few moments of beauty in the narrative. Any time someone has a chance to reflect upon his/her swiftly closing death, the character produces some lovely thoughts about the afterlife (excepting one character). Unfortunately, those few fleeting moments don't make up for the rest of the bloated story. ( )
  JessicaReadsThings | Dec 2, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Is contained in

In the West, the past is very close. In many places, it still believes it's the present. -John Masters
This book is dedicated to Aidan Crouch.
Wind rips through the crags a thousand feet above, nothing moving in this godforsaken town, and the mule skinner knows that something is wrong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,866,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible