Das Kapital (1861)

by Karl Marx

One of the most notorious works of modern times, as well as one of the most influential, "Capital" is an incisive critique of private property and the social relations it generates. Living in exile in England, where this work was largely written, Marx drew on a wide-ranging knowledge of its society to support his analysis and generate fresh insights. Arguing that capitalism would create an ever-increasing division in wealth and welfare, he predicted its abolition and replacement by a system with common ownership of the means of production. "Capital" rapidly acquired readership among the leaders of social democratic parties, particularly in Russia and Germany, and ultimately throughout the world, to become a work described by Marx's friend and collaborator Friedrich Engels as 'the Bible of the Working Class'.… (more)
    Marx for Beginners by Rius (chwiggy)
    chwiggy: Marx for Beginners is a quick and easy way to get the gist of Marx' theories.

English (14)  Italian (6)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (23)
My summer reading project, though I neglected to keep up with the David Harvey lectures I did work my way through Capital Vol. 1. What surprised me most was Marx's detailed accounts of lived experience of workers, visiting their homes, describing harrowing poverty, in his scathing and insightful critique of capitalism. I felt that I was bearing witness to past injustice in a way that I didn't anticipate, although many of his critiques and insights about the degradation of the laborer are still so unfortunately pertinent.
  b.masonjudy | Sep 5, 2020 |
There are actually some pretty good, interesting and challenging ideas in what is arguably one of the most important works in history, yet it is far from perfect and there seem to be quite a few flaws, gaps, judgment calls, perhaps an over-emphasis on idealism while neglecting reality or pragmatism, which is what I always felt was its primary weakness. Still, simply to understand why the world changed so radically prior to 1900 through the present, this is the basic place to begin... ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 19, 2020 |
Lost my notes on this book unfortunately, but loved his wit and sense of humor. I was also shocked to see, from his comments on slaves resisting by working slowly and 'accidentally' destroying farm equipment, that he had travelled in the south (of the USA) before the Civil War.

Not an easy read, but worth it anyway despite his errors in thinking (very adversarial...)
Peace,
Shira
5.11.12015 HE
(the Holocene Calendar) ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |

Engels, FriedrichEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salter, GeorgCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Untermann, ErnestEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La ricchezza delle società, nelle quali predomina il modo di produzione capitalistico, appare come una "immensa raccolta di merci" e la singola merce appare come sua forma elementare.
Please do not combine abridged/condensed editions (ISBN 089526711X - the 'Gateway' edition, and others) with this original, complete work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,089,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible