The Animal Family (1966)

by Randall Jarrell

A lonely hunter living in the wilderness beside the sea gains a family made up of a mermaid, a bear, a lynx, and a boy.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
A charming book about the ways that family comes together and creates bonds, through adventures, curiosity, willingness to adopt others' languages and ways of living, and shared story-telling (and retelling). ( )
  Brian.Gunderson | Nov 7, 2018 |
The book is more of a children's book. It was enjoyable but I wouldn't read it again. I could not really get that into it because of how unrealistic it was...I know you read books to escape and go into a unrealistic world but this book was way out there.

The only reason why I read the book was because I was at a friends house and she just happen to have it laying around, so I picked it up and started reading it. It took me two days to read it. It wouldn't have took that long if it was for the fact that, that house has always got something going on and it gets really detracting sometimes. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
A hunter living in a cottage near the sea falls in love with a mermaid, who comes to live with him. They adopt a bear cub, a lynx kitten and a little boy and live happily ever after.
A sweet and simply told story with nicely drawn characters and lovely illustrations by Maurice Sendak. ( )
  electrascaife | Oct 25, 2017 |
Beautifully written, lovely story. Nice read aloud book. ( )
  shanlouise | Nov 16, 2016 |

Randall Jarrellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sendak, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,289,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible