The Devil in Music (1997)

by Kate Ross

Series: Julian Kestrel Mysteries (4)

The sleuthing 19th century English dandy, Julian Kestrel, is in Milan searching for the killer of a famous marquis. The marquis was a patron of the opera and the probe takes place against the background of goings-on at La Scala.

This was definitely bittersweet! I think this was Ross's best book to date but it was also tragically, her last! We learned so much more about Julian in this story that I know she must have had big plans for his character going forward. Its unfortunate that her life and writing was cut so short. Im going to miss Julian and Ross's stories! Rest in Peace Kate Ross!! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings over this mystery, first off, it was very clever and I did not guess in a million years who Orfeo really was, so it had me there! But, there were some areas of the book that dragged. Julian doesn't even enter the scene until Part II, after the entire first part leading up to the murder of the marchese. I did find myself getting a bit bogged down with all the Italian characters and wondering why this, why that, but by the end it all made sense. About the end, well, I think about 25 pages could have been edited out . The entire ending and wrap up just seemed to go on forever! Once we knew the truth and all secrets revealed, she should have wrapped it up. Still, I thought it was very good overall, and I'm sorry we lost such a fine author in the late Kate Ross. This is a wonderful, thoughtful series for fans of historical mysteries.

3.5/5 ( )
  ktleyed | Nov 2, 2013 |
In this 4th (and sadly last) entry in the Julian Kestrel series, Julian visits Lombardy. I found the setting fascinating! If you like historical fiction, read this! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
Kate Ross was one of the finest historical mystery writers ever. A tragic loss for her to die at only age 42. The hero, Julian Kestrel, is a great character - not your standard tall, rich, handsome hero that clutters up the historical romance shelves. ( )
  Lethe20 | Dec 16, 2010 |
This broke my heart as well as Julian's. Here at last we find out pieces of Julian's background - enough to make him even more beloved than before. The Italian setting is delicious, and she made me feel a passion for music more acute than I normally admit to. The politics were a little dreary - I preferred the character development, but they were essential to the story.
When I finished I tried to look up the name of the next book in the series and discovered that this is the last visit I'll have with Julian, which made the ending of this book even more poignant. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Nov 26, 2010 |

Ross, KateAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moosmüller, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuarnesson, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Ludovico Malvazzi signed his name with a flourish and sat back to read what he had written...
"Modesty alone doesn't prove a man a hero. But it's incontrovertible that immodesty makes him a bore."
"A wonderful country, England," de la Marche went on dreamily. "A place where the practical and the absurd meet - where men calculate with mathematical nicety at precisely what angle and with what force to tilt with a windmill."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,573,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible